amount of baby's drinking express milk

iVillage Member
amount of baby's drinking express milk
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 3:24am

I have been exclusively pumping for about a month and half. I recently starting tracking the amount the I pump and the amount the baby drinks every day in a spreadsheet. I found she is drinking 38-35 oz. a day some days! Is this normal?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:31am

My son had about 37 ounces per day too. It is normal, but also know that bottlefed babies tend to be overfed too. Simply because we push them to finish the bottle, specially since we value breastmilk so much that we don't want any to go to waste. If my baby fell asleep while drinking the bottle, I would always wake him up over and over to make him finish it, when the truth is, I should had let him sleep and give him the rest later. Breastmilk is not like formula that you have to toss it away. Breastmilk can be saved for the next feeding. When a baby is hungry, he/she will let you know. Hope that helps.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:38am

Thanks for your reply - my husband and I do try to finish the bottle which I think was part of it. Today I have been watching more closely for her cues (falling alseep, spitting the bottle out) and found she drinks only 3 - 3.5 compared to her 5 before.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 8:49pm
My daughter is 12 weeks and drinks 25 ozs max a day.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:06pm
The "average" baby drinks 24 to 32oz a day, with some a little higher or lower. I think pp is right on about not trying to finish the bottle--we have a lot of weight issues in our family and were really careful about just letting our baby eat what SHE wanted and not trying to finish it, even though we hated to toss some breastmilk if it was left. She got up to about 28oz a day around 3 months or so and stayed right around there until she got really good about eating solid food. There is some controversy over whether refrigerated breastmilk can then be reused at the next feeding (some antibodies and protective properties are lost when it's not fresh) so some people reuse and some don't. We were pretty careful to not reuse while our daughter was little, say under 6 months, but we did get a little more lax about it as she got older and developed more of an immune system. One of the best guides to whether your little one is getting the appropriate amount of food is her weight gain. The pediatrician will tell you if it is on target or not.

Photobucket</