Pins and Needles pain

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Pins and Needles pain
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:35am
Hi there-

Why do I feel like pins and needles poking all around my breasts? Does anyone know why this is happening? On top of nipples pain and now this. I've been pumping for 6 weeks now. When will the pain ends? :smileysad:
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:38am
Have you seen your doctor to rule out thrush? I've only ever had it hurt like that when I hacks thrush or the auction was way to high
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:18am

I agree, sounds like thrush up your ducts. Try lowering the suction, if that doesn't make it go away, very likely it is thrush and you will need to get treated. The sooner you try to treat it the better. It took me months to get rid of it.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 4:47pm
Wow sorry for the poor typing in my first reply! I'm not so sure is misdiagnosed as it is more common. Yeast loves dark, wet and warm environments which is exactly what our breasts create when bfing or EPing. A baby can still drink thrush milk but if you are going to continue freezing I would get checked ASAP. That way you can rotate out your freezer stash. Also if you mix some of the frozen thrush milk with fresh milk I've heard of women doing that as well
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 7:23pm

Is this pain only when you are pumping?  The whole time you are pumping?

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 8:29pm

This totally sounds like thrush. I had it for months and even after taking Difulcan (which is the prescription they give you to treat thrush) it didn't go away. My doctor prescribed me 2 weeks, but it didn't work. I had to follow my own home made recipes to get rid of it. My baby didn't have it at any time, but I did, for months. I had the exact same symptoms you have: sharp needle pains going up the breasts, pain while pumping, redness (raw pink), unable to have anything or even a towel touch my nipples, and sensitivity that would send chills down my body. What I did to get rid of it was wash & moist my nipples with vinegar (sometimes soak the nursing pads and leaving them in my bra wet for a while), take probiotics (I took the new Bayer ones), the one you will need is acidophilus; drink plenty of Kefir, and also if you are prescribed any nystatin for your baby, you can use it to soak your nipples with it. I poured some on my nipples at night before I went to bed, then use new nursing pads. Make sure you don't wipe your breasts with the same towel more than once, the best thing to do is pat dry with a paper towel or let them air dry. You will also need to wash your bras in hot water and let them sun dry if possible (I added vinegar to the water too), boil anything that touches your breast/milk. You can use a microwave sterilizer, or you can boil everything once a day for 20 minutes. When I mean everything that touches your milk, I mean EVERYTHING. The best thing to do is also change your baby's pacifiers and nipples, in case the baby has it, it won't pass it back to you. If you don't want to buy new ones, just boil them. Sterilizing everything is also as important as anything else in your treatment. Hope this helps.