Vinegar for cleaning

iVillage Member
Vinegar for cleaning
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 7:20am

Donna you asked. I posted it up here as maybe someone else also uses it for cleaning.

Here's a link to all the things that vinegar can do.....
an amazing product .  
We are talking about plain white vinegar of course.

http://www.heinzvinegar.com/tips

my recipe for cleaning bathroom fixtures and chrome and many other surfaces:  use one part white vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle.  Spray fixtures and wipe clean, good also for showers to clean soap scum, tiles etc. 

I do also use vinegar straight out of the bottle to kill weeds that grow between the cobblestones on my driveway.

Use it in my water cooker (or coffee maker) to clean lime & calcium deposits.  (for a coffee maker: fill the reservoir with white vinegar and run throught the brewing cycle.  Pour it out and then rinse the machine with 2 cycles of plain water. 

I do not use it for cleaning windows though.  

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:20am

I use it to clean my coffee pot and I preserve with it, but I never knew there was a "pickling strength" vinegar. I always use white vinegar and have never had a problem with it. I'll have to check, though, to see what acidity it is!

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:58am

I use it to clean my floors, it makes them real shiny!

Also put some in the rinse cycle of my dishwasher sometimes.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:23pm
You can also put a cup of it in the washing machine and run it thru (w/o clothes), gets rid of the lime and calcium buildup in there too.

I'm wondering if I could use it on my granite floors,,, (diluted of course)
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:24pm
I would stick to the strength you are using.... falls under "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... LOL
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:02pm
twig04 wrote:
You can also put a cup of it in the washing machine and run it thru (w/o clothes), gets rid of the lime and calcium buildup in there too.

I'm wondering if I could use it on my granite floors,,, (diluted of course)

Good idea with the washing machine.  My mom keeps a bottle of vinegar to spray the shower walls when she's done, also the kitchen sink.  She has a problem with hard water, the vinegar works great.

Don't know about those granite floors.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:07pm

I've read these tips before, more than once, but do you think I'd remember them? Oh, heck no!! I do use vinegar in our coffee maker, but that's all. I've been wanting to clean our bathroom drains and have been meaning to look up natural ways of doing that, now I know!! Thanks Suzan!! I hope my cleaning lady doesn't mind the smell of vinegar for cleaning..lol!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 7:01pm
Good to see these Suzan,
We use it for the carpets too.
Thanks for sharing these :smileyhappy: