nightmares

iVillage Member
nightmares
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:03am

Been having frequent nightmares where I'm being chased by someone trying to kill me, being attacked in some way.  I'm just wondering if there's any way to stop it on your own.  I've been stressed out lately, going thru bankruptcy earlier this year, so working longer hours.  I'm trying to find time to go out or date, but being 60, it's hard to find someone.  I'm constantly worrying about my future, getting old and being alone.  Worrying about  becoming disabled and trying to make it on Soc. Security.  Occasionally, I have suicidal thoughts, but I don't know if I have the hutzpah to do something like that.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: stefson
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:06pm

Oh; I am so sorry for the way you are feeling and can totally relate to it. I am female and 58 and I havent had a date since a year ago and I am so tired of not having someone.. It really takes its toll.. to be honest I do get suicidal thoughts but too chicken to act out on it or do it as I do have a faith in God and all. He so far has not let me down but lately I am feeling so beaten down..

what helps me is trying very hard to live in the same exact moment we have because that is all we really have.. I know its hard but try it.. I love the work of Byron Katie as she believes in theory there is no future and it will take care of it self.. I know another thing hard to grasp.. We as humans always have a racing mind and never truly enjoy what we have in the moment and not what is coming down the road.

Right now I am trying to find a new place to live but that is happening to me right now here right today as we speak.. I cannot concentrate on what is going to happen in future because we just dont know..or what has happened in past. Its gone and we cant get it back..

I know I know easier said than done.. but really look up Byron Katie and see what you think?

take care

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 9:46pm

Every time I've prayed to God, I feel like I'm talking to myself and no one is listening.   Maybe there's a methdology for prayer, but, I don't know what it is. I will take your advice and look at Byron Katie.  Wayne Dyer suggested believing that you already have what you want, and do this thought process before you go to sleep at night.   I'd like to know how he does that, because I can't seem to get that in my brain. 

Community Leader
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 1:35am

Welcome to the board!

Sorry to read your having nightmares.  How long has this been going on?  Have you changed any medications recently?

I am no sleep doctor, I did read though that been chased and attacked in your dreams is one of the top ten most common subject in people's dreams.  Meaning, I know it is scary, but maybe knowing it is normal may make you feel better?  I will do more research and direct you to a good website about this.

Are you feeling suicidal?

sending you hugs

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 7:40pm

I would have responded sooner, but my computer froze up, so I had to get some quick service from some technical people.

I didn't know that it's a common dream, being attacked.  I've been having off and on suicidal thoughts this year because of various problems I've been having.  I do have medical insurance, but I have a $2,000 deductible, so I really can't financially afford to miss work right now, because of filing bankruptcy earlier this year.  I sprained my left hand a little bit,  but I'm going to see how I do tomorrow at work.  I'm taking Arthrotec every day now.   I'm a stenographer, so a lot of hand work.  I injured my right thumb joint in 2002 falling on ice.  They did operate on that, but I have tendinitis that's never gone away in the joint.  It's just been a struggle dealing with this stuff.

I did join a dating website a couple months ago, but nothing has panned out with that so far I think because of my age.   One guy is supposed to contact me in a week or so.  I've been having a lot of anxiety over that, too, like as soon as you wake up in the morning, the anxiety, old and single.  I used to enjoy life, but I'm not used to struggling this much.     

I fear being a burden on people more than anything else. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 3:34pm

Hey,

how are you doing?

It's a real pain in the butt having to deal with health issues isn't it. 

Love

promise

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 7:18pm

Still having nightmares, but I'm trying to manage with my prescription.  I'm really trying to hang on, so taking one day at a time.  That's the best I can do.   I would love to go to a therapist, psychologist, but I would have to pay out of pocket.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 3:02pm

Hey,

it is a real shame that money, or rather the lack of it, prevents people getting the help and treatment they need. I think that taking things a day at a time is the best way of dealing with things for now.

Love

Promise

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:23pm

I did contact a therapist in my area, and she referred me to pro bono counseling, so they will call me in a couple days.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:52pm

Hi;

Oh; that sounds good.. See you were proactive and something came up..

I dont have health insurance and although I hate it I go to a sliding scale clinic.. yes; I truly hate it...

They said that if I needed a therapist besides a medical doctor I could do that and just pay 15.00.. Unfortunately the wating list is like a year so I figure I am okay for now..

I cant believe the deductibles are so  high.. Makes me think why have insurance?

Anyway; When I was feeling really bad I find a support group for women and it helped me and I think it was free ..There are a few free things around where I live but not one on one counseling.. These are just groups for support and validation.. Heck they saved my life over the years. I am always looking for free help (lol) and I am finding some things.. I just google my town or area and things come up..

Good Luck

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 7:31pm

I would try typing in the word pro bono counseling project and see if anything comes up.     

Pages