Hey Sabr..

iVillage Member
Hey Sabr..
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:55pm
Have you seen the trailer for that new movie about teachers? I don't know what it is called, but it looks like it is about teachers that go on strike to improve conditions in their school for the kids. Viola Davis is in it. I love those inspirational teacher stories so i will definitely be going to see that one. Anyway, I thought of your daughter when I saw the advertisement on tv the other day. Seems timely. Robin
iVillage Member
In reply to: tooner2006
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 2:28pm

The movie's called Won't Back Down, and actually, many people feel the film is ANTI-teacher.  Here's the beginning of the article I linked below...

"I'm hearing there's a lot of controversy about the movie Won't Back Down. Why?

Many people believe the film promotes the privatization of public education and inflames a political climate in which teachers are unjustly disparaged and blamed for the effects of poverty and educational inequity.

The movie tells the story of a group of parents and teachers who use a "Parent Empowerment" law, better known as the Parent Trigger, to take over a school that is failing their children. Parent Trigger legislation, promoted by the right-wing organization American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), has been passed in several states, including California, Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, and is being considered in others. But while the movie depicts an inspiring story of parental revolt, actual efforts to use the Parent Trigger have been driven by billionaire-funded supporters of privatization, and have sparked acrimony and division. None of these efforts has actually improved a school."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leonie-haimson/faq-on-the-controversial-_b_1774215.html

One of the issues in the recent CTU strike was that the city wanted teacher evaluations -which would be the basis for retention or firing- to be based MORE than 50% on the results of student standardized testing.  Now,  even kids in leafy suburban schools can have bad days, and crap out on the standardized tests.  With inner city kids who've had bad LIVES, how fair is it to fire a 10th grade teacher because s/he couldn't bring a kid who was reading at 5th grade level when they walked in the door, up to 10th grade in ONE YEAR.  http://www.fairtest.org/fairtest-commentary-chicago-strike

The people who champion charter schools often do NOT realize that charter schools are FOR-PROFIT enterprises, run by private corporations, with mostly inexperienced teachers, who are NOT unionized, and utilizing high turnover to keep down costs.

iVillage Member
In reply to: tooner2006
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 3:56pm
Huh, okay...I think the TV commercial is a little deceiving. Thanks for the info.