Any Fall activities/traditions?

iVillage Member
Any Fall activities/traditions?
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:19pm

I love Fall....LOVE it.  I love the sweaters and boots and gorgeous leaves and fires.  Our winters in NW Montana are pretty harsh (not the temperature exactly, but we're one of the cloudiest places in the country and it gets rough after 70 straight days of no sunshine) so Fall is treasured around here as being the last bit of good weather before we all hunker down for hibernation. The whole month of September has been in the 70's and 80's , sunny and perfect.  Every year we go to the local pumpkin patch with the whole family and get pumpkins, drink cider, go on wagon rides, corn mazes, etc.  It's my favorite thing to do in the fall besides bake every pumpkin thing I can think of.  I also love driving through Glacier Park. Most of the tourists have gone home and the trees start to turn.. It's just gorgeous.  http://alanmajchrowicz.blogspot.com/2011/09/photographing-fall-color-in-glacier.html

What are you all looking forward to this year? The holidays? The pumpkin spice lattes (decaf of course :smileyhappy:)? 

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:47pm
I love fall too and Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. We always take the kids out to the pumpkin patch and to go on a hayride. Then near the end of November we take them to the Festival of Lights, which is at our local zoo. They have an amazing Christmas light display around the zoo and they have some animals out as well. There are some pictures at the bottom of this page... http://cincinnatizoo.org/events/festival-of-lights/

Recently, about the last 2 years, I've started making Halloween and Christmas treats for the kids to take to school for their parties and I've really enjoyed that so I might make that a new tradition. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:04pm
This year is an exception, but we tend to travel in the fall. We usually end up visiting our families in Minnesota and Illinois. It's my favorite time of year to visit Minnesota -- not too hot & humid and not freezing. For Halloween, we always attend a trick-or-treating event at a zoo (sometimes, multiple zoos) some night before the local trick-or-treating, and then we stay home to hand out candy on the night of local trick-or-treat. For Thanksgiving, my family usually doesn't make a fuss. When I was single and working, I always worked Thanksgiving for the triple pay, so we just did a small family dinner either the weekend before or the weekend after. Now that I could host a huge dinner, we live far away, and no one travels for Thanksgiving since everyone (except us since we host) travels for Christmas. So I usually make a small dinner for the three of us and any other military families or soldiers we know who might be lonely. Other than that, we just try to pick apples and visit a corn maze and pumpkin patch.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 8:00am

My husband and I have no kiddos yet, but we already have some fall traditions.  We live in Maine and have a small ski cabin a few miles from Sugarloaf Mountain and in early October they have a "homecoming weekend" where lots of folks go up to open their ski houses and there are tons of fun activities: ski films, chairlift rides, craft fairs, apple picking, pumpkin carving - lots of fun.  We also host an annual party each year in the fall, Bishopfest, and have typically had this at our ski cabin as well, but this year are having it at home and serving up wood-fired pizza from our brick oven.  We usually have about 40 friends, family and children and we always have a signature cocktail for the guys and gals - guess I'll need some help during cocktail development this year!  This year we are also adding a "gender reveal" componant to Bishopfest and ordering a cake with pink or blue frosting - just as something fun.  I can't wait, I love fall -- and I can't wait to have a little baby with me next fall to share all of this with! <3

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 10:40am

Wow, I am kind of jealous of some of you guys!  I like fall too but man, you guys really live it up.  I bet it is really neat to live next to Glacier National Park - those pictures are amazing!!

In the fall, I don't know if have traditions so much as things we like to do and that we normally do?  If that makes sense?  We do go pumpkin picking - If we have the time we'll go to one of the really big farms with apple picking too and other fun stuff but if we don't have time, we'll just do one of the small local farms.  We normally go to FrightFest at Six Flags with the kids at least once in October.  A lot of years, we have post-season Cardinals baseball to look forward too - yeah!!!!  We also love lazy Sundays watching football all day and eating from a smorgasboard of food we prep and snack on all day.  If we are able, we'll go hiking somewhere and the wineries nearby are always awesome in the fall, but with young kids, we don't make it out there every year ;-)  I guess our big fall event is our chili cook-off.  I don't know that I should say 'our' chili cook-off, it is really my husband's baby.  This year will be the 9th annual - it is always done in early November.  Last year was huge, we had about 24 chilis and I think close to 100 people came.  I actually found it a little overwhelming and I am trying to convince my husband to make it shorter/smaller somehow. 

Oh, and we have fall soccer.  My son plays and my DH is his coach.  Next year my daughter will be old enough to play so then we will be balancing multiple games on weekends!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 9:39pm

I don't really have much in the way of fall traditions, unless you count watching football. :smileyhappy:  And while I'm trying to change it, I don't go all out for Halloween or even Thanksgiving (I just wasn't born with that decorating bug that so many women I know have).  I do enjoy taking a drive through the country back home (in WV) and seeing the leaves when they change but I'm going to have to start finding other fall things to do until they get to an age where football & color leaves are enjoyable to them.

When I was growing up my dad always went hunting during the week of Thanksgiving so my mom & I would drive up to IN to spend time with her side of the family.  It was pretty much the one time a year that I knew I would get to see all my aunts, uncles & cousins on that side since they hardly ever came out to visit us.  I stopped making those trips quite a few years ago but I think now that I have kid(s) it might be nice to start it back up so that my wee ones can get to know their cousins & family up there.  So this year, mom & I are once again hitting the road, this time with Luke in tow.  We're leaving the guys to do their hunting thing (my dad & SO get along like best buds so this works out well for everyone involved).  I'm excited to be able to introduce my little boy to the other side of my family, since with the exception of my grandma (his great), no-one out there has met him yet.  We already spend a lot of time with my SO's family & my dad's side since they're all in WV & only a few hours away from us, so this will give me an opportunity to get the rest of my family involved. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers