Drying seeds

iVillage Member
Drying seeds
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 3:32pm

Do  any of you dry your own seeds from current crops to use the following year ?  This is the first year I am trying it.  I got a super sweet yellow tomatoe plant from my neighbor his eyar and wanted to try and save seeds so I can have it again next year ( in case he doesn't offer again LOL )  here is what I did:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seedsave/2002084456024410.html

Valentine Bingo               

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 9:38am
Yes, I do drying up my own seeds to plant again especially my selected red bell pepper, I choose the big ones and just wash the seeds and place it on a fine net and cover it with the same net so that it will not be eaten by the insects & keep it dried under the heat of the sun for few days until it changes its color and completely dried.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:42pm
I do, with the flower seeds at least. I have collected a lot so far. Mostly Holly Hock and bachelor buttons. As a kid, I helped my mom collect seeds and it's a great memory.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:22am

Valentine Bingo               

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:22am
LOVE IT !!! I ahven't planted Zinnias in a while...I save my marigold seeds from eyar to year...got the orginal batch from my mom's neighbor ..Yeaaaaaars ago !!!

Valentine Bingo               

Community Leader
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 3:06pm

I've done it!  Mostly butternut squash seeds, peas, beans.  Stuff that is not hybridized and not picky.  

My zinnias from last year self-seeded, and from one lonely little flower I now have a whole bed of zinnias.  My sweetie has been harvesting deadheaded flowers and seeding them all over both of our yards.  They are coming up gangbusters!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

You can see my fully bloomed pineapple sage in the background.  My rosemary and chives are in there somewhere, and the zinnias are escaping out onto the lawn.  There are a few dozen new plants coming up all over the bed and in the holes of the cinderblock border.  So I will be saving more seeds for next year!  The hummingbirds have loved my garden this year.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 11:23am

I've done it for flower seeds but not for veggies --- mainly becasue so many of the successful veggies I grow are bybrids and the seeds won't grow "true"...

CL for "