Should you censor your teen's music?

iVillage Member
Should you censor your teen's music?
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 3:45pm

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.  I'm a relative newbie when it comes to the teen world, and while I had views coming into this on what I would or wouldn't allow, I  know from experience that you never say never when it comes to how you parent. 

I just read an opinion piece from the Chicago Tribune, the mom was explaining her reasons behind her decision not to censor her daughter's music choices, here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.chicagonow.com/music-mom/2012/09/should-you-censor-the-music-your-teenager-listens-to-this-mom-says-no/.  

I agree with her to a point, but unsure if I'm willing to totally let it go.  There are still movies/TV shows that I don't allow my oldest to watch, so why would I have a different viewpoint when it comes to music?  I was taken aback a couple of years ago when I heard some of the songs that my friend's daughter would listen to, they were pretty obscene and went way beyond what P!nk or Katy Perry put out.   Although you have to give some leeway and can't control all their environments, you can at least try to keep it at a minimum.  Am I totally in la-la land with this thinking?

Do you try to censor the type of music that your kids are exposed to?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 6:12pm

I was not big on censoring things for teens.  Younger kids, pre-teens yes, teens not so much.  

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:52pm

I do not censor music.  When I listen to songs I liked with I was a teenager, many of them are about sex also.  I'm not entirely sure it's any worse now (it probalby is).  I just didn't think that way when I was a teenager.  In this "day & age" I'm not so sure though--kids are probably not as naive as I was.  

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 4:03pm

Do you try to censor the type of music that your kids are exposed to?

No.

I personally prefer my music unedited and enjoy reading uncensored sites such as Wonkette and Jezebel. I don't censor my language around my children and I never have. I refuse to apologize for my opinion that censorship sucks.

I am in total agreement with this mom.

Pages