Should you censor your teen's music?

iVillage Member
Should you censor your teen's music?
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 3:45pm

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.  I'm a relative newbie when it comes to the teen world, and while I had views coming into this on what I would or wouldn't allow, I  know from experience that you never say never when it comes to how you parent. 

I just read an opinion piece from the Chicago Tribune, the mom was explaining her reasons behind her decision not to censor her daughter's music choices, here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.chicagonow.com/music-mom/2012/09/should-you-censor-the-music-your-teenager-listens-to-this-mom-says-no/.  

I agree with her to a point, but unsure if I'm willing to totally let it go.  There are still movies/TV shows that I don't allow my oldest to watch, so why would I have a different viewpoint when it comes to music?  I was taken aback a couple of years ago when I heard some of the songs that my friend's daughter would listen to, they were pretty obscene and went way beyond what P!nk or Katy Perry put out.   Although you have to give some leeway and can't control all their environments, you can at least try to keep it at a minimum.  Am I totally in la-la land with this thinking?

Do you try to censor the type of music that your kids are exposed to?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:31pm
I do not know anything about the correlation between computer ownership and violation of/attempted violation of the electronic policy violations.
iVillage Member

We have that restriction on our school internet also.  It blocks everyone--staff and students from going on blocked websites (facebook and youtube for instance). 

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 7:09am
Youtube is an accessible site and teachers use it for many different reasons here. Facebook is blocked and so are entertainment sites like this, How some people get around that is beyond me, Lol!

Pages