Rocker mom Pink almost starts fight over rude breast-feeding remark

Community Leader
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 6:02pm

If you’re not a fan of public breast-feeding and you cross paths with Pink, be warned: This rocker mom is ready to rumble.

The singer-songwriter and mother to 15-month-old Willow recently told a British interviewer about the first time she took her daughter to a restaurant. As she nursed her daughter under a "Hooter Hider," she encountered a man who didn’t like what he saw.

“I had a cover on,” Pink said on the British talk show “Alan Carr: Chatty Man” earlier this month. “And this guy walks by, and he was like, ‘Ughhh.’ He was just disgusted.”

“I was like, 'You didn't get enough hugs when you were little,’” she said. Her husband, Carey Hart, told her: “‘You’re starting fights in restaurants.’”

“I will,” she said. “I will fight. Hold my baby,” Pink said, laughing.

Carr asked Pink whether she considers herself “one of those militant breast-feeder women,” nursing in public and almost daring someone to say something. You bet.

“I do. I do on purpose,” she said. “I think breast-feeding is healthy and natural and it’s a comfort to my baby.”

She shared with Carr that yes, she’s still nursing Willow (she once nursed while doing a live radio interview with Ryan Seacrest). But no, she’s not doing so while wearing her nipple rings.

“I had to take them out because it was like a sprinkler,” she said.

Read more: http://moms.today.com/_news/2012/09/25/14096764-rocker-mom-pink-almost-starts-fight-over-rude-breast-feeding-remark

iVillage Member

I wouldn't call someone who stands up for themselves against a NIP critic “one of those militant breast-feeder women,” as the interviewer seems to be calling such moms. Sure, if your willing to literally start a fist fight over it then that is going to far IMO but I don't like the use of milltant when refering to moms who fight for the right to NIP without negative stares, comment, or wors, attempts to actually stop them from NIP'ing. So while I am glad that Pink feels strongly about breastfeeding and NIP and I'm glad to hear she is still breastfeeding, I think that I would have prefered her to not to agree with the interviewers use of the term "militant breast-feeder women,”. I would have responded "Yes, I do feel strongly about defending the right ti nuse in public of me and any other breastfeeding moms, but I would not call myseft a militant breast-feeder or any breastfeeding rights activist,”

Photobucket