Needing your prayers!

iVillage Member
Needing your prayers!
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 9:46pm

We had a really strange surprise today.  Fletcher had routine bloodwork as part of his "well child" check-up, and the results today showed dangerously high cholesterol.  Like RIDICULOUS numbers.  The doctor seemed shocked.  He asked about his diet and activity levels, and he couldn't really make sense of the numbers.  HDL was 265.  LDL was 144.  We are doing the tests again to rule out error.  I'm praying it was a big mix up of some kind.  Fletcher is very thin, extremely active, and he eats well.  We rarely have junk food.  We eat balanced meals and rarely eat out. Nutrition is a subject that I have thrown myself into since becoming a parent, and I take the business of feeding my kids very seriously.  I'm baffled.  Part of me is thinking it was an error, and the other part of me is scared to death that this is just a symptom of something else.  My frantic internet searches (I know I shouldn't do that!) suggest a kidney problem, metabolic disorder, or diabetes. 

I'm scared.  Not sure what to think.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 4:03pm

I really hope this was just a mistake with the tests. It really doesn't make sense with such a young kid (who is thin, active and eats healthy)

Please KUP!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 4:20pm
Keep us posted, Erica! I have an 8 y/o cousin with higher numbers than that, but she has other issues. I would imagine that if it's a new thing, there's a mixup somewhere.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 4:36pm
That does sound off, Erica, I hope it was just a test error. One of my twins has borderline high cholesterol that we've been working on controlling with diet. Did he fast before the test, and does he take any supplements like Omega? I do have my son take Omega supplements, but take him off of them for about a week before having to test because I read they can throw off the results. I'm just throwing some ideas out there, not sure if they are relevant or not.

For my son, it is genetic on my dh's side. What really gets me is that he is much more active than his twin, has a lower BMI, but has the worse cholesterol levels. I don't understand it, but guess it's just the way he was made.

Sending you lots of P&PTs!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:03pm

Melissa is right abou the fasting Erica.

I remember once when I was about 10yo I had a cholesterol test, and since they told me I had to have a very light dinner I sneaked and ate like 5 slices of buttererd bread.... Of corse the test results were a mess... My mom was so mad at me when I confessed it!! LOL!

I totally forgot about that until Melissa's post!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:41am
Oh no Erica! How scary! Did you get the new results back yet?

Shawn 
Mom to DS, July 2009
Expecting our little girl after three m/c - EDD 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:43pm
Update: We went to the ped. yesterday to get the new results, and they were basically the same. Next we will get a referral to an endocrinologist to rule out metabolic disorders, etc. I've talked to several people who had high cholesterol in childhood or teen years that was not related to diet or exercise and disappeared before adulthood. I'm also learning about the connection between inflammation and cholesterol, so I'm investigating some diet changes that we can make to reduce inflammation.

And I also learned that there is disagreement in the medical community concerning the levels of cholesterol that are good for kids.

We still have tons of questions and fears, but we are feeling a little better overall. Trying not to let Fletcher worry since it is really an adult concern...nothing for a healthy kid to worry about!

Thank you for all of your kinds words, pieces of great information, and your prayers!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:51pm
Erica - we'll keep praying for Fletcher and hopefully this will all get worked out and managed soon.

I know that I have supplemented my kids with fish oil/flax oil for years and they have surprisingly low cholesterol. The oils also help with inflammation - as to green leafy veggies and decreased grain consumption. I'd love to hear what you're learning!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 3:13pm
Still praying, Erica! Sounds like you're on the track of figuring out what causes it though, and that's what matters. :smileyhappy:
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:13pm
Erica, thanks for the update. We'll keep praying for Fletcher. I hope you're able to get to a good understanding and resolve soon. I remember hearing an NPR story a few weeks ago about checking cholesterol in kids and their being concern because it's hard to compare kids levels to adult levels, causing worry when there wasn't concern, etc. Good luck!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:09pm

erica, I'll keep praying that this turns out to be something manageable. KUP!!

Photobucket