2nd Parenting Class- Baby Basics

iVillage Member
2nd Parenting Class- Baby Basics
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:06pm

We decided to ask the doctor about whopping cough vaccine for DH and I and also to start looking for Pediatrician. We found out that limited outdoor activities for the first couple of weeks/months is beneficial (up to 8 weeks) b/c of their weak immune system and to have everyone coming in contact with the baby to sanitize or wash. How to bathe a baby and take care of the circumcision. Did you know you're apparently supposed to pull the skin back and apply Vaseline for the first few months otherwise the skin can grow back together and they have to get re-clipped? We also learned that babies get cradle cap, which is basically dry skin and that applying baby oil and brushing gets rid of it. When to call the doctor and that Aquaphor works as well as diaper rash cream. Also some info about SIDS, but we already knew that.
We also watched a video about dudu- down, up, down, up technique for swaddling and the five s's to calm a baby: 1)Sucking 2)Swaddling 3)Shushing 4) Swinging 5) Side or stomach position.
All in all a good/informative class. The next two classes are about labor and delivery and yes we have to watch videos for that too. I feel bad for DH b/c he doesn't even want to see me in that position (he plans to be up by my head supporting my leg) let alone someone else.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:47pm
Sounds like you got lots of good info. I've also heard coconut oil works for cradle cap. They have a block class but they aren't offering it until after the new year and I don't know if I want to wait that long to take my classes. I'm in agreement that DH will probably not want to watch the labor video either.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 3:16pm

Getting the whopping cough booster is a great idea, my OB recommend all women of childbearing age to get it, now all I have to do is convince my DH to get it. That is interesting information about circumcision. An all natural cure for craddle cap is also to put coconut oil on the sight, it is a natural antimicrobial and the fatty acids in it will help the cracked skin heal faster. It also is a great diaper rash cream. Here is a good website on its benefits since there are too many to go through:  http://www.naturalnews.com/036028_coconu_oil_health_solutions.html

I don't think my DH could watch birthing videos either. Even during my c-section he is just going to hold the video camera up  so I can watch it. We joke about the fact that I am the one who wants to watch the c-section (I watched my own hand surgery and found that very fascinating as well) and he is the one who is content just sitting there holding my hand.

I hope the other parenting classes are just a informative for you.