Getting frustrated by the day!

iVillage Member
Getting frustrated by the day!
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:20pm

When DS entred junior kindergarten he was to have full EA support, and accodations have been put in place in his IEP to allow him to use markers, and he is not expected to complete as much written work, and is not expected to produce perfect out put due to abnormalities in his hands.  He's been in gr 1 since Sept 4th, and so far he has told me that no one helps him, he's had to stay in part of recess to complete written work because it wasn't good enough, and today he tells me that he is not allowed to use markers.

The IEP meeting has not happened yet, but why is everything to was place before not being followed?  I want to have a postive relationship with DS's teachers, but this is not making me happy!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:05am
Sounds like you need to have a quick meeting, maybe right after school with the teacher. Your worry is that by having him do the regular work that they are turning off his love of learning and school, which will create issues down the road. Staying inside for recess is not fun, just makes him notice how different he is, and makes him feel bad that he cannot do better. Kids this age will do their best if they can - they want to please teachers.

I suspect that you will need to do this meeting every year. If you can, go in before the first day of school and meet with the teachers. Some teachers may not have even seen his IEP, like if they have different teachers for science and history. Try to meet with ALL the teachers, including gym, music and art. If you can't meet with them, get their emails and email them.

Good luck!
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 1:45pm

Call them!  Bring them a copy of the IEP.  You can be nice and have a good relationship, but they are required to follow the IEP--not knowing the accomodations is no excuse.

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief