I'm a guilty person

iVillage Member
I'm a guilty person
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:30pm

I'm supposed to be a CL here, but I never come, and I'm surprised they haven't fired me by now. 

My foster Pug, Roly Poly, is at the vet clinic.  He has been there all week.  And the diagnosis is diabetes.

OMG, y'all.  I can't do the insulin injections!  I haven't been to nursing school.  Do I need to get some oranges to practice on before he is released from the clinic?  Do I need to ask that he be placed in another foster home, when he has been here 5 months, thinks my dogs are his siblings and I'm his mother? 

Community Leader
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 12:17pm

Gaye...please stop beating yourself up!!  Life just gets in the way sometimes....and as for the board, it's being taken care of.  Roly, and your life, is what's important right now.  I definitely want you here whether you post once a day, once a week or once a month....

I'll be completely truthful here....as to the injections.  When my ^Valentine^ was getting to the end I was told that, to help her, I might want to give her fluids at home.  I thought that I would never be able to do something like that....but I did.  It was far different than just giving an injection; after the needle was in I had to wait at least 20 minutes or so for the fluid in the bag to flow into her body.  I know that, on rare occasions, I may have hurt her a bit putting the needle in because she would flinch...but that's true with any injection.  She quickly learned that after the procedure was done I would give her a biscuit....and as soon as I removed the needle she would run to her biscuit box.  This was also an every-day procedure....while we had just opened our business and were there about 10-12 hours per day I would have to take time out to do this.  Even though it ultimately didn't do much to help her, if I hadn't done it I would always wonder "what if".

When it came to ^Samantha^ I swore I would never do that again; but then Samantha was over 15YO....Valentine had been only 8.  Even though it was difficult for me emotionally if Samantha had been younger I probably would have done the same thing.

"If" you feel you want to do this, the vet tech will show you what to do; it's really much easier than you might think.  But...if you feel that this is not for you no one could ever fault you.  You already do so much not only for your own furkids but for those at the shelter.  Please try to be a little easier on yourself.

Laura
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 4:07pm

My pet sitter and his wife, who have no human children, have a house full of hospice pugs.  The wife is a vet tech.  They would take Roly.  But Glynna is currently raising two infant pugs that were stuffed in an old purse and left in the night drop at the Dallas shelter.  Their eyes were injured and infected.  The vet says he can save three eyes, but the little boy will losse one of his.  She is bottle feeding and administering eye drops round the clock.  How can I, in good conscience, dump Roly on them, too?  I need to put on my big girl britches and learn how to do this!

We had such a great weekend with events and health updates on our special needs pugs like Hoosier and Cocoa Latte. We sincerely thank all of our volunteers and donors who have contributed to these successes.

While we had a successful weekend in many areas, we have one critical story to share. We received a call last Thursday afternoon from Dallas Animal Control that they had two puppies about 4 weeks old for us to rescue. They were stuffed in an old purse and left in the night drop. Both had severely injured right eyes and the left eyes were crusted over.

One is a male who weighed 1.3 pounds and one is a female that tipped the scale a a whopping 0.9 pounds. Dr. Gumfory, one of our partner vets at Westcreek in Fort Worth, said he doubted they were 4 weeks old and more like 2-3 weeks old. He cleaned up all four eyes and told us to bring them back in 48 hours to see if the eyes could be saved.

In the meantime, one of our volunteers had to put eye medication in their eyes every two hours around the clock. They had to be fed with a bottle which our volunteer also did around the clock. We saw Dr. Gumfory yesterday, and he thinks he can save three of the eyes. The little male will more than likely lose his right eye. This is not an illness, but some sort of trauma but could have been caused by the pups' mother or other siblings.

The good news is that they finally started to eat on their own last night, but the male is still very listless and just eats and sleeps while the tiny female wants to play. Their names are WIZARD (male) and WREN (female). They are currently being taken care of by one of our volunteers 24/7. We will continue to post updates as we receive them.

If you would like to donate to these puppies' medical care, please go to www.dfwpugs.com, click on any Donate button, and enter any amount you would like. There is a description box to put why you're donating as well (optional). We are a 100% volunteer based organization, so ALL donations go to our rescue pugs!

As a side note, our volunteer response time to shelters is incredible and that is what sets us apart from other rescues. From the time Dallas Animal Control called us until theses puppies were in our possession, it was only 45 minutes. This is the reputation that we have worked 15 years to build and why we usually get pugs from shelters right away.

We GREATLY appreciate the help and quick response times from our volunteers as it's vital to keep us the best rescue group in North Texas while saving pugs in a timely manner. We hear these exact words from shelters daily, and we THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:10pm

I know I shouldn't be surprised at the cruelty of some people....but it just never ceases to amaze me.  Those poor little puppies.....

as for Roly...if this woman is willing to take him then maybe you can work with him for the time being, until the puppies are better and a bit older.  At least there would be some light at the end of the tunnel....

Laura
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:33am

With diabetes, does the insulin have to go IM (in the muscle) or Sub Q (under the skin)? The reason I ask is that Vaccines (except for Rabies) are Sub Q and I give my own vaccines to the dogs and cat and I am squeemish.  their skin is loose and they are forgiving... :smileyhappy: 

Have someone qualified show you how and you will be fine. Just take your time and have plenty of treats for yourself and the puppy handy. 

soopermum62

With Brandi, 6 yo Brittany, Taz 13 yo Persian, W.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:28pm

I had a response about a coworker who adopted a dog who required injections for diabetes, but then I saw that Roly will be going to live with the vet tech and just wanted to wish him well and hope that he is able to settle into his new foster home.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:41am

Tim and Glynna are wonderful, wonderful people.  They have been active in the pug rescue almost from inception.  They take in the old, the infirm and the unadoptable.  They usually have about ten in their home at a time.  And their Christmas card, with a picture of the entire pack, is legendary. 

Tim does intake for the group, and he has already met most of the Pugs.  He is truly the Pied Piper, and all the animals love him.

They just had to put down an elderly, blind female they had since she was about 2.

Roly will be in the best possible place.