Loss of Pregnancy Symptoms

iVillage Member
Loss of Pregnancy Symptoms
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 12:49am

Today I am 8 weeks, and my symptoms have been slowly diminishing over the past week and a half. I know it is far too early for the placenta to take over, and I should definitely still be feeling like crap. I never got morning sickness like I did with my two children, my boobs have stopped hurting and my "werewolf" sense of smell has disappeared.

At my appointment (6w 5d) my doctor saw the fetal pole with a tiny hand held ultrasound, but could not move the sac in range to check heart activity. I had a "real" ultrasound a week prior, and the fetal pole was not seen then, and it was well in the time range to see it then. I'm not sure if what he saw was actually the baby, it was so grainy and small, I don't know how he saw anything other than the sac. The biggest worrying points are the pains I am feeling. The early pregnancy cramping had already stopped, but I've been feeling some really awful pains, awful to the point where I curl up and want to use a hot pad. I haven't had any spotting, but on a whim, I checked my cervix and I could fit half of my middle finger tip inside it, and I could feel the mucus plug, actually a small ammount came out with my finger.

I'm debating on waiting until my next appointment on the 18th, or calling the office on Monday to tell them, that I just don't feel pregnant anymore. If I am going to miscarry, I would like the doctor to find out now, because when I miscarried before my DS, my body thought it was still pregnant for almost a whole month before it started to miscarry the baby, (stopped developing at 9 wks, started spotting at 12 wks) and it was another 3 weeks of spotting before I started gushing blood and needed an emergency D&C. If I would have listened to my doctor (who was more concerned about my insurance not having kicked in yet) I would have bled to death at home. I don't want that to happen again, and I know this doctor wouldn't do that to me. 

I just want to know either way, so I can either stop being nuerotic and paranoid, or get things moving so I can begin healing. I'm trying to think positive, but precisely every other pregnancy has ended in miscarriage, and this one feels just like the most recent loss. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have mild symptoms and for them to disappear so quickly. If only I had known. I'm not trying to be dramatic or freak anyone out, I would just like an opinion from someone who's been there before. 

Anyone care to weigh in? 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 9:28am

I am in kinda the same boat as you with the symptoms disappearing.. Boobs no longer hurt, queasiness is still present but I have a nasty stomach bug right now (whole other subject).. but I have been spotting off and on, have my first doctors appt. on Tues...

I also have had a previous loss, 6 weeks, but my body kept hanging on and never realized until about 9 weeks... So I am completely able to understand the going crazy not knowing, just want to find out if I'm gonna lose this baby or not feeling..

About the cervix, I have heard that your cervix never completely closes up with some prior pregnancies.. I started out about a finger tip open with my last dd... The pains would definitely concern me though..  Just my 2 cents but if I was having pains that I felt I had to take tylenol for (my pain threshhold for non-medication is pretty good) and had a previous loss.. I would probably call and see if they could get you in sooner than the 18th...

Good luck to you and hope you have a healthy little baby in there! kup..

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 12:51am

I'm sorry you're going through this too. Thank you for the advice. I'm going to call the doctor on Monday. The pain just keeps getting worse. :womansad: Good luck at your appointment on Tuesday. I'm praying for your little one to stick! 

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:17am

How are you feeling this evening?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 4:53pm
I don't feel pregnant at all anymore, and the pain just keeps getting worse. I'm wondering when the spotting will start. :smileysad: I wish that Monday would come soon.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:22pm

I agree--probably a good idea to go into the ER check.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 3:43pm

So sorry you're going through this. I think I'd definitely get checked out asap to see what's going on.

*AUBREY* --- Mommy to Kadin, born on December 3rd 2007 & Korbin, born May 20th 2013!