My brother is hospitalized

iVillage Member
My brother is hospitalized
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 8:25am

Good morning.  New to this board.

My brother was hospitalized last night, for what we fear was an acute manic episode.  Suddenly, last Friday, his behavior became odd, and it got progressively worse over the week.  He didn't sleep one night, all week long.  His wife (who never called to let us know this was happening) claims he was like a stranger, ranting and raving and sending her 'life lessons' via email in the middle of the night.  He'd even taken to hanging post-it notes all over their apartment of quotes and things he'd come across.  My mom alerted me to all of this on Thurs, because he'd sent my mom 15 emails the night before, which rambled on and jumped from topic to topic.  This is all so unlike my brother.  Usually, you can't get a word out of him edgewise.

So I called him myself, and it was like talking to a stranger.  So scary.  He was animated and talking about books he was going to write and that he had this epiphany and all this really strange and bizarre stuff.  The final straw was when he spoke to my BIL, and when my BIL mentioned my nephew, my brother had no idea who BIL was talking about.

We didn't know what to do.  My bro lives in NYC and we live in PA.  My mom and BIL decided to drive to NYC last night, and ask my brother to go for an evaluation at the hospital, which he immediately (and surprisingly) agreed to.

He is sleeping now, and I don't know the blood test results.  But does this sound like bipolar to anyone?  I am beside myself.  

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Administrator
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 8:55am

Hi and welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear your brother has been hospitalized but thankful he is getting help. I do have a few close acquaintances with Bipolar Disorder but they don't have the symptoms you described so I can't really be of much help.Hopefully someone else with more experience with those symptoms will drop in and reply.

Please keep us updated on your brother's condition.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 1:18pm
Mayamae wrote:I'm currently struggling w/ my youngest daughter's mental health and am wondering if she showing signs of bipolar.

Take care and I wish you the best of everything!

Maya

welcome

Welcome to the  board. It's wonderful to see you posting here and I hope that you will stick around and post more often.

How old is your daughter?