Food shopping isn't going to go exaclty as planned this week

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Food shopping isn't going to go exaclty as planned this week
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 10:41am

During the summer, I always go to a farm for pick your own veggies.  It isn't organic so they still used pesticides but it is so much cheaper than the supermarket and obviously fresher because it is coming right off the vine.  This is just a working farm - nothing fancy about it.  Bathrooms are porta potties.  You get the picture.  So I go to this farm and usually get a few bags of peppers, chop them up and have them ready to go for as long as the ppers last.  This year I did it with peppers, onions and some green beans.  Then, from my own garden, I have more green beans and I have celery.  It makes cooking so much easier this way.  Well, last night, my hubby went into the freezer to get something and didn't close the door all the way and some of my veggies defrosted!  I am going to refreeze the ones that came from the garden but the ones that came from the supermaket I have to cook up.  I only had 4 packages of meat in the freezer and whiel they were still hard as a rock, I decided I might as well cook them up too for the weekend just to be on the safe side.  So my shopping isn't going to go exactly as planned since I hadn't expected to use an entire ziploc bags full of corn on corn chowder and I need to get the ingredients for corn chowder and I didn't plan on using up the all meat and having to replenish my supply but that is the now the case.  But I am going to stay within my budget ($125 a week plus cat food and litter) come heck or high water.

Michele

Community Leader
I partially started using paper towels when I learned how many germs get swiped around with a rag or sponge. I also got the idea to keep paper towels in each bathroom (maybe from flylady?). I am always wiping out my sink and mirror, then the toilet, with one Viva. Also a good "back up" in the bathroom.

The cost per use really is nominal.

Now, if I was pulling off several squares for every little spill, then sure, the cost could add up.

Did any of you ever watch that show on extreme frugal people? One gal used rags for TP. Ick! I guess if you had a washing machine (or garbage shute) next to the toilet that would work, but she didn't even have TP for guests. Maybe she did, but on the show she had to expain to her dinner guests their "cloth toilet paper."

Serenity
iVillage Member

I find your discussion pretty interesting . . . just thought I'd jump in also . . .

I don't use PT.  I don't think I ever really used them much.  I've always used cloth napkins, and dish towels and rags around the home.  The only time I find them useful at all is to put the bacon on after frying - lol.

H really likes PT though and sometimes buys them to use in the garage.  

Whenever company is over they ALWAYS want to use a PT for something or another (spilled drink, napkin, etc . . .) and so I keep napkins from when I get fast food on hand.   It just boggles my mind that people can't be in my home for more than a half an hour or so before they ask me for a PT.  

I even considered buying some PT for Dh bday last Friday as his gift . . . but decided against it because it really wasn't in the budget. This is how ridiculous I have been about staying on task - lol!

But . . then I never understood why people use paper diapers either.  The cloth ones were so much easier for me.

Oh and I found out recently that I actually perfer generic TP.

On another note . . .have either of you ever tried keeping a food journal to track grocery prices?

It's just weird how people are different.

Community Leader
I do splurge on Viva paper towels. You really can wring them out and keep using them. I don't go so far as to litterally dry them out and reuse them like they were new, but you can do one large job with one towel and leave hanging over the sink and reuse again. I can wipe down (not scrub) my entire bathroom with one Viva paper towel.

Just a thought.

Oh, and sometimes you can't help but go over one week, but then hopefully you will need less then next week. Seems to be the case anyways.
Serenity
Community Leader
My $500 a month also includes toiletries. I think with a man in the house, that is about right. Sure, might be able to shave off a little bit, but not much. I think we all have things that we would really rather not do without, or don't care for the generic.

I don't mind generic maynonaise, but can't quite bring myself to do generic toilet paper. KWIM?

I also try to check for sales at the higher priced grocery stores and add coupons. The trick is to stick with the list at those stores.

Oh, and taking the DH or kids always adds to the cost. I swear, he is worse than my DD throwing things in the cart without me knowing.
Serenity
iVillage Member

You get to pick veggies right from the farm???? I'm sorry, I'm too jealous to respond! :smileysurprised:

I've never made corn chowder from scratch before. Both DH and I love it (I wonder if the kids would it eat it, haven't tried).

Our fridge doesn't close properly and it's only 3 yrs old. I shudder to think of how much electricity it wastes...grrr...

So your food budget is a little high this week - but you should see a dip in the next two weeks as you eat all these delicous homecooked, farm fresh dinners.

Dee

iVillage Member

After you cook the meat, you can refreeze it.  Same with the veggies.  So if you defrosted raw hambur, you can brown it up and then freeze in ziploc bags - good for tacos, scrambled hamburg, pasta, etc. Chicken can be good for soup or casseroles- just package in one cup or two cup increments.  I make a great chicken pot pie using either pre made pie crust, canned gravy, frozen peas and carrots, and a potato I cook myself - you could use canned potatoes but its easy to cook one. I season with salt, pepper, and poltry seasoning.  It is simple to make and yet is a fancy meal. 

You could make some of the veggies into a nice quiche - I make the kind with Bisquick that makes its own crust - you can google and find resumes.

Community Leader
There is also three of us. Only one kid still at home. If I pay attention my purchases, I am able to keep it under $500 a month, so you should be fine. It means more trips so I don't waste, but I am very close to 3 grocery stores. If we didn't drink pop, I could get it down even more.

You are in the states, correct?

Serenity
Community Leader

What a pain! We had issues with our fridge over the summer and what a pain in the neck that was! I had to toss a full package of chicken out and some other odds and ends.

Didn't realize anything was wrong until I took a drink of warm milk. Eeeek!

You can still stay on budget. It might mean making an extra trip to the store, but remember you don't have to go out and "replace" the meat you didn't plan to cook this weekend.

If you only have $125 then you only have $125. It may mean eating more tuna or soup, but it really can be done.

I stretch my hamburger out by using 3/4 pound instead of a pound. Meat in a pasta dish goes a lot farther than as the main course, etc. etc.

You can do it!!!

Serenity