Rowling considers return to Harry Potter world

iVillage Member
Rowling considers return to Harry Potter world
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 12:24pm

J.K. Rowling revealed she is not ruling out writing another book set in Harry Potter’s world.

Rowling would take another trip on the Hogwarts Express only if she had "a great idea," she said. "I don't want to go mechanically back in to that world and pick up loads of odds and ends and glue them together and go 'here we go.’ It would make a mockery of what those books mean to me."

But a new novel would center around characters other than The Boy who Lived. “Where Harry’s story is concerned, I’m done,’’ she said. Instead, she would craft a “sidestep’’ story, rather than a sequel or prequel.  http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/49177003/ns/today-books/#.UGXN7FHdeSA

I think most of us would be thrilled with her writing a "sidestep" story... she could flesh out some of the other characters, go backward or forward in the history of Hogwarts or anything she felt like doing and I'd be happy! LOL

If you had your druthers, what characters would you like to see her include?

iVillage Member

A story on the house elves isn't a bad idea... and she could let us peek in on a lot of the different wizarding families that way! LOL

I think it would be interesting to find out about the pre-Harry lives of Authur Weasly and Molly Weasley (née Prewett)... I can imagine a young Authur getting into all sorts of mischief, with his love of all things Muggle -- or even the Lestrange/Black family... Bellatrix as a girl must have been pretty frightening!

Community Leader

I really hope that she does decide to revisit the HP world.  There are so many stories there just begging to be told!  I would especially like to hear more about the Mauraders and get more details on Snape and Lily.  It would be interesting to hear more about Molly's brothers, Fabian and Gideon.  

On a completely unrelated note, I am going to stop on my way home today and pick up a copy of The Casual Vacancy.  So far, the reviews I've read haven't been especially good but I'm going to keep an open mind.