Sidestep story in the Harry Potter world?

iVillage Member
Sidestep story in the Harry Potter world?
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 12:40pm

J.K. Rowling has said she is not ruling out writing another book set in Harry Potter’s world.

Rowling would take another trip on the Hogwarts Express only if she had "a great idea," she said. "I don't want to go mechanically back in to that world and pick up loads of odds and ends and glue them together and go 'here we go.’ It would make a mockery of what those books mean to me."

But a new novel would center around characters other than The Boy who Lived. “Where Harry’s story is concerned, I’m done,’’ she said. Instead, she would craft a “sidestep’’ story, rather than a sequel or prequel.  http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/49177003/ns/today-books/#.UGXN7FHdeSA

Which characters would you like to see her focus on in a "sidestep story"?

I think it would be interesting to find out about the young Authur Weasly and Molly Weasley (née Prewett)... I can imagine a young Authur getting into all sorts of mischief, with his love of all things Muggle! LOL

Or maybe the Lestrange/Black family... Bellatrix as a girl must have been pretty frightening!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:17am

I had read this article, too.  I agree with you.  Any of the main families in the Harry Potter series would provide a good history background.  They could be additions to the story in the fashion of Tolstoy's side stories to the Lord of the Rings series.  There are hundreds of those explaining different myths and families of the original series. 

That's the joy of a make believe world.  One's limits of imagination is the only hinderence of the world's growth and development.

Bev

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:41am

I have another related question. Will you read The Casual Vacancy Ms. Rowling's newest adult non- HP book?

That's a probably not for me, or at least now that's what I'm thinking...

Julia

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:05pm
aliciasmom2008 wrote:

I have another related question. Will you read The Casual Vacancy Ms. Rowling's newest adult non- HP book?

That's a probably not for me, or at least now that's what I'm thinking...

Julia

I probably will give it a try at some point in time. But I'm not rushing out to buy it like I would if she wrote another story about the wizarding world! LOL

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:54am
It's on my TBR list, but I'm not rushing out to add it to my shelves. I may decide to request it from the library rather than purchase it.
Bev
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:21pm

I have it requested at the library but I have it suspended until I decide if I really want to read it. I'm not sure if it's for me.

Kathie

Kathie