growing out a pixie & got an even shorter pixie !

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
growing out a pixie & got an even shorter pixie !
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 1:01pm

100_1988.JPG100_1989.JPG100_1990.JPGI had a pixie cut this summer, short in back, but longer layers on top, side, and crown, and bangs.  I wanted to grow it out.   I waited 3 months until I got that “bell” look, but close to a layered bob.  My usual stylist relocated. I went to a new hairdresser, on a few referrals. He is pricey but supposedly the best stylist and colorist.

I explained I want to grow out my hair, but it’s very thick, and I get stuck in a rut and land up chopping it off.  I then told him my bangs are very heavy and fall in my face.  He asked if I wanted bangs.  I said I want side swept, thinned out bangs.  He asked if once my hair is long, will I want all one length or layers.  I said due to thickness of my hair, long layers.

He said he needed to cut and layer my hair to get into a manageable style to grow it out.  This is where I thought he would trim a little bit out of the weighted area, “bell” look. 

What I got was super short matching in length 3 “layers throughout my hair.   Without careful styling, it looks like a mullet.  The top layers are ridiculously short, with short bangs.  When he chopped off the length I worked on to grow, he took with it, all of the nice highlights.

He colored my hair my dark blonde root color to cover my grays and roots.  I asked about highlights, he said it is too short for highlights, but I can get them in 2 months.   The darker blonde color isn’t awful, but not flattering at all.

I have researched growing out pixies, and the best method I saw was cut across bottom, then snip through hair to re shape to avoid the “bell” and “mullet” part.  I also read that having a real nice color helps keep it pretty though the awkward phase.

I am so totally disgusted.  This cut is shorter than the pixie I had before, and ugly.  I see it heading toward mullet for sure.  Is there a reason all the layers needs to be the same length?  Maybe there is a different way to grow it I am unaware of? 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:19am
I would have thought to grow it out, you wouldn't start by layering it more, but I'm no expert. I don't think your hair looks at all like a mullet, and I think your bangs look really nice!
iVillage Member
Keep us posted. The big question is... Are you going back to that hairdresser?