Who will be in the delivery room with you?

iVillage Member
Who will be in the delivery room with you?
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 1:17pm

Who will be in the room with you when you give birth? Will it be just you and your DH/SO? Will you have friends and/or family members join you? Also, who do you think should have the final say on who gets to be in the room with you? Since it is your labor and delivery, should that be left up to you?

Who Gets to Be in the Delivery Room? How Many is Too Many? Who Decides?- http://www.ivillage.com/who-gets-be-delivery-room-how-many-too-many-who-decides/6-a-334787?ice=iv:mb...

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:15am
Just me and DH. That's the way we have done it with all 3 so far and I really like having that moment as something special just for the 2 of us. After all, it was just the 2 of us getting the whole process started! I was fortunate to have all my children born in the early evening so far. We didn't even invite family or visitors to come up until the next day. I really enjoy having that initial family bonding time with just me, DH, and the baby. So precious.
Proud mama to 3 princesses... Anna Jubilee (6), Sadie Lael, (4) and Abigail Lo
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:53pm

My mom was present for the birth of both of my older kids and I asked if she was going to be here for Pip-Squeak's and she is going to try. 

I asked my daughter since she'll be 21 and she does not want to at the moment -- we'll see if she changes her mind between now and then.

Obviously, dh will be there for the birth of his first and hopefully only child.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 2:18pm

Just DH and my mom.  My mom will be there to take pictures, then right after that, she will be leaving the room so DH and I can bond with the baby.  After they towel the baby off, I'm not going to have them swaddle her.  If she is at a healthy gestational age, I want her on my chest skin to skin.  =)  We will also try nursing immediately, so the less company we have, the better.  (I have GREAT experience with skin to skin right after birth.  With my last baby, we did this, and he nuzzled independently down to find my breast!  It was amazing!) 

With my last two boys, we didn't tell ANYONE I was in labor.  I made it very clear to my mother and DH of the plan.  We started calling family and friends after I delivered and had bonding time. The thing I hated most during my first labor was all the visitors during the most painful part of labor.  Then after he was born, they all came in, scooped up DS, and that was that.  I didn't get him back until hours later when the nursery was through with him.   :smileysad:   I learned my lesson right off the bat and knew L&D visitors were not me.  LoL 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 12:51pm

I had my parents and inlaws in the room only during labor with my first and that was too much for me. It was only dh, my midwife, and birth assitant with my second and third and I plan on doing that again.  I can't deal with any other people during labor and I can't imagine having anyone else there during the actual birth.

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 12:28pm

Probably me hubby and our moms. His sister was there last time and she took great pics & videos, so that may happen again, we'll see.  My oldest son is 13 and if he expresses interest in being there, we'll consider it.  It's the AFTER that has my stomach in knots.  MIL is one of 12 kids, my mom is one of 7, and hubby and I are both one of 7 as well.  So giant families=no R&R after baby is born.  Seriously, it's like a circus in there after baby comes.  Gulp.

Tina Mom of 3 boys and a daughter on the way!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:23am

Just my hubby, my doctor and the nurses.  Plain and simple.  Everyone can pile in for a visit after the big event.

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:35am

My husband for sure and maybe my sister or my mom if she is in town.  For my first it was just me and hubby. My second was an accidental homebirth (which was awesome!) and my MIL came in just in time to catch.  My sister arrived moments after, and hubby came about 10 min after that.  My third my hubby was there and my sister stopped in to visit during labor and I let her stay.  I'm so glad I did because they let my husband deliver the baby, he's a paramedic, and my sister took tons of awesome pics that I would not have had if she didn't show up.  For this baby I want my kids to be in the delivery room if they want, but the hospital probably will not let me.  I may be able to get one of them in.  (I'm still secretly hoping I have another accidental homebirth and everyone gets to be there, I can dream, right?!)

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:52am
Bigmommairb, Maybe it'll just make them wanna wait good and long to have their own.. lol. That's not such a bad thing.. right? :smileywink: Seriously though, it's a personal choice mama needs to make.. whatever suits you best.. you go for it!
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:50am
Just me, my love, and whatever nurses. With my last childbirth experience.. phew.. I had alotta people in the room with me. This time around.. (his first my 2nd) I told him.. it's just me and you babe! I don't want anyone else in there! If I'ma go without an epidural again.. I'd like to focus on doing what needs to be done at the moment.. which is keep calm, and deliver my baby!!!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 6:32pm

The hospital where I will be delivering only allows two people to be in the room with you. Hands down my DH and my mom.