Ground Beef Recall

iVillage Member
Ground Beef Recall
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:19pm

Food Recalls: Massive Ground Beef Recall and Whole Foods Pulls Peanut Butter Cookies

http://www.ivillage.com/food-recalls/3-b-108629

For detailed info on the ground beef recall (summary of events and Q&A):

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/consumer-centre/food-safety-investigations/xl-foods/questions-and-answers/eng/1348090287501/1348090501848

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 8:54pm
I was just on the fda website looking at recalled foods. After the peanut butter scare, I had to go through my pantry and double-check. Thanks for the link to the beef recall!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:13pm
Seems you can't trust any food these days, meat, poultry, fruit, vegetables, eggs. It's like playing Russian Roulette every time we eat.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:52pm
I'd heard about that recall and I got hamburger at Albertson's. But luckily it wasn't the kind I buy.

I agree with you about the chicken. It looks pretty nasty. I always wash it, but it's still just nasty.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:14pm

I started grinding my own meats about 5 years ago.  I just don't like what I know about commercially ground meat, and with my food sensitivities, it's not worth taking the risk.  I paid less than $80 for my Waring Pro grinder, with sausage stuffer (that I have never used due to the cost of casings).  I enjoy making my grinds specific to the recipe; meatloaf blends, taco blends, chili blends and burger blends.  I like grinding pork too. I pick up large cuts of meats on sale, it's so much safer to grind a cut from one animal and cook meat that is not treated with ammonia and chemicals.   

I thawed a whole chicken this week and was horrified at the obvious injection of enhancers that was in it.  I'm rethinking chicken now.  I can't have food like that.  I tried soaking it in a brine and I could not leach out all of the evil stuff.  I did not feel good the morning after eating it, and developed a stuffy nose for most of the next day (it caused some swelling consistent with anaphylaxis).  

I would advise everyone to grind their own fresh beef.  Hand grinders are still available and not very expensive.  And I use my grinder for more than just meat.  I love to make hash.  My daughter grinds cranberries for a holiday salad.  The grinder is a multi-tasker. 

Photobucket