Breastfeeding after exclusively EPing

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Breastfeeding after exclusively EPing
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 3:52pm

Hello, I was just wondering if there are any moms out there that have gotten their baby to latch and breastfeed after a few months of their baby only having the bottle with expressed breast milk? What was your experience with it and if it was sucessful, how did you and your baby do it? I have been thinking about trying but am very nervous for some reason... any tips or advice?

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-24-2013 - 9:54pm

After one month of EPing, I want more than anything to have my baby breastfeed! I tried again a few nights ago with no success. She latches improperly, leaving my nipple pinched, not round when she gets off. And when she is on, she sucks but does not seem to be swallowing. I have plenty of milk... She cries hysterically at the breast too! She guzzles her bottles, about 4-5 oz every 2-3 hours! I have been to several lactation consultants and was eventually referred to an occupational therapist. I just could not pursue the OT, as it is a distance from my home, and at the time, my baby just needed to gain weight, so pumping was the best option. I really want the bond and convenience of breastfeeding. But I am afraid she will damage my nipples again in the process and I don't want to risk not being able to pump. Any advice? Any similar experiences?

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-12-2013 - 11:20am

Have you had her checked for a tongue tie? My son cries like that, and we found he had a tongue tie. He's had it clipped, which is supposed to resolve most cases, but still has difficulty latching.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-01-2013 - 5:49am

when you began bf and baby would not latch did he/she cry hysterically? i have a 2 month old who i intially had to supplement with bottle bc she had lost too much weight. We continued with bottle feeding and i pumped. In the middle of the feeding I offered her the breast but most of the time would cry hysterically. i now began to use medela sns starter kit (feeding tube) to see if i can wean her off the bottle. WE have only used it for 2 days but she still cries at the breast. 

thanks!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 7:48am
I'm so jealous! My LO was born 9 weeks early, and had bottles in the NICU for 3 weeks before coming home, and never learned how to use compression and suction at the same time. I tried once every couple of weeks to get her back to the breast, but she refused, and then she got teeth, and I was afraid to try. We're at 9 months now, with the end goal in sight, so I think I'm not going to try again, and hope that I'd we have any more children, that they latch!
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:53am

Yes! My son figured it out when he started to suck on his fingers too!. I guess they get in an oral stage when they suck on everything, mine sucks on every toy I give him, I have to be washing everything to make sure it is clean. Keep trying because she will figure it out. I have flat soft nipples so my baby didn't know where to suck at all unless I squeezed my nipple and pulled it under his palate. After a few tries he completely got the clue and learnt. I used the evenflo glass bottles with evenflo nipples. I loved the glass ones since the start because I would use them to store pumped milk in the refrigerator and the fat doesn't stick to the bottle. She won't get frustrated, in fact with the baby's mouth the let down is faster than with the pump. With the pump it would take me sometimes 10 minutes to get a letdown; the baby stimulates the breast so quick that the milk comes out in less than a minute. If anything, just rub your nipple a little bit, and then put it in her mouth, that will make it faster. Most people recommend not using the nipple shield. I hated it not only because it caused me pain, but because my son moved it around and tons of milk would leak all over me. So don't use it to try to get her to latch again because it will just confuse her more. 

I like you was uncomfortable to breastfeed in public, specially because for the first few days the baby was a little messy and we would still get milk over me sometimes, so I kept pumping for every time we went out, but I only pumped once a day and that was enough for one or two feedings to have "on the go". Once I got ahold of it, and the baby stopped being messy I started to breastfeed in the car when we were on our way somewhere. I figured by the time we got wherever we were going the baby would be full and wouldn't cry for a few hours. I hanged a baby blanket on the windows to avoid peepers. Eventually I got more and more confident and started to breastfeed in other places, like the movie theather and the park. I guess what pushed me to fully breastfed was that I dropped my pump and couldn't get a replacement part for days. I even breastfeed at the zoo while we were at the dolphin show, LOL! I always use a blanket to cover myself. I am like that, I can't help it, and I know I would make my husband very uncomfortable if I have my breasts hanging out. 

I also hate when I read that people tell women they should breastfeed in the bathoom. Really, who wants to sit in a filthy bathroom to feed their child. I would understand if they had bathrooms like they do at Nordstrom's, they are clean, and you even have your own mommy corner for privacy, with an area to change your baby and a comfy sofa for you to sit in, (I have breastfed there once and loved it, they even had WIFI so I could use my kindle while nurnsing.), but let's agree, not every place keeps their bathrooms clean like that. MOST places are filthy anyway. Another thing I did was use a baby carrier with the baby at breast height, and covered him with a blanket. I was able to feed him while walking around the planetarium (on a tuesday when there wasn't a lot of people).

At home, it is so comfortable to breastfeed, I can just lay in bed with the baby, watch some tv and relax, and not worry about warming up bottles, hooking myself to the pump all day, or washing and sterilizing parts afterwards. You have no idea the difference it makes. I feel like I work sooooo much less now. 

Let me know if I can help in any other way. Don't give up, if it doesn't work, wait a few days and try again, try to be relaxed and sit in a comfortable place. I think mine figured it out while laying sideways in bed. 

Fingers crossed! :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 10:11pm

I pumped since my baby was 3/4 days old until he was 3 1/2 months. I tried to latch him at the hospital, but it didn't work, so I asked for a nipple shield, which I used for the following days, until I couldn't bare the pain anymore and decided to pump. He always nursed fine with the shield, but without it he would be lost, and with the pain it caused me I gave up and exclusively pumped for the following months. I tried to get him to latch again around one month and a half but he was completely lost still. Then around 3 1/2 months and dealing with thrush pain, I couldn't bear the pump anymore and decided to get him to latch again. I offered the breast to him at a time of the day when he was calm, and somewhat hungry. I used the sandwich technique, pretty much, if your nipples are flat or too soft, you just have to squeese them flat and pull them under their palate. IT WORKED! . I just couldn't believe myself or the baby, it was too good to be true, but indeed it worked. I was able to get him off the bottle for the rest of the day. And for the following days he only took one bottle before bed. I always produce little milk at night, thats why he needed a bottle. In the followind days he was able to get completely off the bottle. It was hard for me to let go of counting ounces, but as long as he continues to wet enough diapers, he is good. He gained good weight too. Now he refuses all formula, or frozen b/milk. He only wants to nurse, even to go to bed at night. He's 5 months now and doing great. If you have any questions let me know. Hopefully I can help.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 9:24pm
You might try looking up a user called "skycheattraffic". She used to be on here but got her baby back to the breast. She might have some advice to you as to how she did it. Good luck!

Photobucket</