Mental Illness a Bigger Threat

iVillage Member
Mental Illness a Bigger Threat
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 4:15pm

Here is an article from Huffington Post about the mental health of our children, and how important it is to not only treat the symptoms, but to find the underlying causes.   I thought that the following really conveyed the meaning the author is trying to get across: 

If we fail to respond appropriately and in a timely manner, we lead our children down a path where their mental health problems are sure to worsen. This is not only bad for our kids but for society as a whole. So how do we improve the mental healthcare of children? We can start by asking questions and educating ourselves. We can take more of an interest in psychology and fight to de-stigmatize mental health conditions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-firestone/mental-illness_b_1901778.html

What did you think of the article?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:45am

Thanks. I've been wanting to respond sooner but my hands have been so messed up. :-(  I'm going to order Dragon Naturally Speaking 3 for MAC. I know I have quite a learning curve ahead for me.

In any case, I LOVE this article!! I love things she said:

"Children are being prescribed medications that are not only uncertain to cure their symptoms but have the potential to create new problems and concerns....  with no real knowledge of their short or long-term effects."  and "As with many physical and psychological ailments, we can medicate to treat symptoms, but without getting to the source of the problem, we reduce our children's chances of recovering from or coping with a mental health disorder."

Some things are emotional and that needs to be addressed. Some are so very physical. In either case, parenting must be adjusted. In either case, better coping skills are needed. In either case, the physical can cause emotional trauma and the emotional can cause physical problems.  That was how it was with my kids. We MUST treat the whole person. And we cannot just medicate symptoms away with psychiatric medications if the problem is foods or hormones, or toxins, or an adrenal tumor. And we should try to JUST medicate symptoms away when there is an emotional issue that we need to address. The psychiatric medications can be very helpful tool while trying to figure out what exactly is wrong and addressing the problem.

That's what upsets my kids the most now. They were given the psych meds. They needed them when acutely ill. BUT... treatment stopped there.  The doctors were not then taking the NEXT STEP, which was to find out WHY they had those symptoms and create a treatment plan for THEM. That's how my younger one ended up with osteoporosis at age 16!!  Even the psych meds themselves can cause more physical and psychiatric problems, and those just don't get the attention they deserve!

And yes - it is scary how more and more of our kids have problems of all sorts!  I have been teaching some children for over 20 years. It is NOT just our imagination that a higher and higher percentage of our children have cognitive, medical, and psychiatric disabilities.  (See We Have Sick Children )

www. It's Not Mental .com