OLD report

iVillage Member
OLD report
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 5:00pm

In a nutshell: there's not much to report. Having been off the site for almost a year, I had a flurry of emails and winks. There was one guy that seemed very promising. I replied to his email, he replied back but wanted to talk on the phone rather than exchange a few more emails. I used to like to talk on the phone before meeting but over the years I don't like talking to someone I don't know. I gave him my number anyway and he called. We talked for about 15 minutes, just getting to know you kind of things, and he asked if I wanted to have dinner the following Friday (it was Wednesday when we talked). I also would rather meet for a drink, not dinner. Well, I already had plans and asked if possibly the following week would work. He said he'd call me back Sunday to set something up. He didn't call. Usually when that happens, I write them off, but I felt I had nothing to lose, so on Thursday, I sent him a brief email through the site saying I'd still be interested in meeting if he were. Crickets.

So, OLD is living up to it's reputation once again. The good news is, I don't take it personally. 

Today I actually contacted a guy. I haven't done that in a really long time. He says he lives in the UK right now and is relocating to my city in about 6 weeks. Hmmm. We'll just see.

I even looked at some long distance profiles, but didn't contact them. Of course, they will see I viewed them (I hate that feature, it can't be turned off) so maybe they'll contact me, maybe I'll contact them later. I'm not fired up about long-distance, but it seems my city has run out of men or something.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 6:52pm

Well there must be something in the water, cause I rejoined match also--I was only going to join for one month cause I know I'll get either too sick of it & depressed or just sucked into the time waste.  But with their pricing, it's just better to do 3 months.  So it's been less than 24 hrs so I've gotten like 2 winks and one "like" for my picture--I don't even understand that one.  One of the wink guys was very far away, the other one I tried to look at his profile & it was hidden.  Why would someone do that?  So again, we'll see what happens.  I am not optimistic but I'll tell you that POF just never seemed to have any new guys and the ones who were on there were there for years--why cancel your membership if it's free?  Something may turn up.  So at least there were more new guys on match. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 7:09pm

I have a question.What is OLD???What does it stand for?I have seen it talked about over and over and I don't have any idea what you guys are talking about???

iVillage Member
In reply to: misslynn76
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 7:37pm

You must be new to this board. OLD means Online Dating.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:59am

I think sometimes when you don't get the right type of guys writing to you, you need to venture out and write to the ones you like. This could produce good results. I did this, not on OLD but with the old 'Great Expectation' service many years ago and found at least one nice guy.

But not for the faint of heart, many of them would not be interested in you even when you think you're lowering your standards a bit.

I don't like the 'who viewed me' feature either. Too much transparency. Howevver, it doesn't indicate real interest.  the proof of the pudding is when the person actually contacts you. I don't use this as a indicator to contact someone. If they've viewed my profile and haven' contacted me that means, they've thought long and hard and decided not to contact, more proof they're definately not interested.  

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 11:05am

POF is full of losers. No harm b/c it's free. 'supposed it's OK, but I got depressed after countless emails from very clearly out-of-the-ballpark guys. I met my ex-bf there. Nice person but broke as an old record. Got a couple emails from 'quality' guys but only one daters.

So I hid my profile. Now so depressed after the Belgian doozie. Not doing any kind of dating.  Match offerred me 30% off three month service but don't even have the energy to do it now. 

Community Leader
In reply to: shywon
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 12:42pm

I hate the "who's viewed me" too!  It's one of the many, many reasons why I quit.  Sometimes you just want to look just to look.  Sometimes their headline is so ridiculous, you know the rest of the profile is going to be entertaining and it's like a train wreck- you've got to look!  Sometimes, they've got a great picture, but the profile is full of self-absorbed crap.  There are so many reasons why that feature is just pointless!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:57pm
What I hated about POF was that you had nothing to go on when deciding which profiles to look at besides the headline and the picture. For me, while having a picture is important, I'm not that concerned with what the guy looks like. I wanted to be able to narrow down my search by other factors like religion and whether he had/wanted kids, but at least back then there wasn't any way to do that and the task of going through each profile one by one was too onerous. I also found that the guys who wrote me didn't have a whole lot in common with me and just seemed to be attraced to my picture.

Okcupid is also free, but I liked the matching system much better and thought it got better results, both in terms of helping me sort through the profiles and the guys who contscted me were much better matches in general. Okcupid does seem to attract a more particular demographic, but in my case that worked well for me.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 8:35pm

Another reason why I didn't like POF was that you couldn't "X out" the profiles of people you don't want to look at like you can on match--if I know I'm not interested in someone, do I have to constantly look at his picture and go through pages of the same pics every time? 

So I don't know why, but men aren't beating down the door to talk to me yet--right now I am keeping a good attitude about it.  I'm sure that will change later.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:57pm

I don't care much about the pictureseither, except when they lie about their age by 12 years :smileyhappy:

For physical appearance, I'll look at ht and wt if they sound proportionate then good enough. I'm more interested in other qualities, kids or no kids, what he considers important, what he likes, whether we at least sound like we have the same values.

I once told a guy off b/c the bloke lives in my city but kept emailing without suggesting to meet. Eventually had the nerve to ask if I have more current pictures to share. I told the loser, pictures only give you an idea. If you want to know what a person really looks like then just meet her. After that I didn't hear from him for a long while. Then he wrote back asking if I've found somebody. I never wrote back.

There was another loser, right off the bat asked very intrusive questions, which were intended to size up my material assets.  Had the nerve to make statements that he made as much as I do. Not true of course but the loser never dated women of my caliber so frog at the bottom of the well...go figures...

Bother of the losers were 46 yo, and one is  a computer programmer, the other one a real-estate agent (working for someone else). I'm 45 yo, and I'm a doctor. That's what I mean about lowering my standards and still the nerve! 

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:37pm
Every guy I have ever met online looks different in some way from his pictures, even if they are current. There is something about a person that, to me, pictures can't really capture.

Pages