vaginal dryness

iVillage Member
vaginal dryness
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 5:53pm

before i get into my most current issue, i wanted to say i STILL have not heard anything back from my family doc about the swab that was done when i suspected i had a yeast infection..i go to see her Oct. 10th so i will find out then for certain..now onto my most current issue..vaginal dryness..to my knowledge i have not hit menopause but i am experiencing bad vaginal dryness(inside and outside) and pain during intercourse..it feels like i can BARELY fit just an average size penis in me without pain..almost feels like i've shrunk inside..granted i don't have NEARLY as much sex as i used to when i was in my teens and 20's and i'm 37 now, but i would like to be able to enjoy it..the dryness on the outside is located in the perennial area and i'm not sure what to use to relieve or even get rid of it..i've had some suggest i use pure Vitamin E Oil, then i have others who suggest i find something that is water-based..i AM taking in more water as that was pretty much #1 on the list of things to help but i am confused as to what OTC or natural products i can use..and for the record i plan to bring this up with my family doc when i see her on the 10th..

Community Leader
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 11:59pm
That sounds like more than just your average vaginal dryness. That sounds like their may be a hormonal imbalance causing it. Definitely bring it up with your doctor.

Any over the counter lubricant will help. I use KY Sensitive, which is a water based lubricant.

Hope you can find some relief. Please let us know how it goes at your appointment.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 11:39am

hi cinderkitty77..i went to my doc's appt yesterday..swab that was done to see if what i had was a yeast infection came back normal..no yeast infection..doc said if i have another flare up like that to come back in for another culture..as for the other issues, she suggested 2 things..lube and LOTS of foreplay..she said because i'm not having sex on a more regular basis, the muscles inside my vagina could be experiencing atrophy because they aren't being used as much now as when i was in my teens and 20's..this is not to say i sleep around but for various reasons my libido has been on a roller coaster since i hit 30..she did do blood work to see if there's any change in my hormone levels..i am using Vitamin E cream for the dry skin(outer not inner) and it seems to be helping..so that's update thus far..

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:07pm
Glad she was able to give you some answers. Hopefully her suggestions will help!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:24pm
I'm surprised she didn't suggest kegels to strengthen your vaginal muscles. I don't know if that would do anything for the dryness, but it should help with the muscle atrophy.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------