Interesting last 24 hours!

iVillage Member
Interesting last 24 hours!
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 10:47pm

So the last 24 hours have been very interesting for us. I had the second part of the SIPS bloodwork done last Thursday. Yesterday they called me and asked me to come in to discuss the results. I assumed my iron was still low from the first bloodwork or something simple like that. Instead they informed us that baby was at higher risk for down syndrome. But only slightly. The Dr said 90% chance everything is fine and that my dates are probably just off which would throw off the blood work. I was still panicking though, thinking the worst.

So they booked me in for an urgent ultrasound today to confirm how far along I actually am. Turns out I am entering my 15th week this monday, not 17th. So we are two weeks behind, compared to what we thought, according to my LMP. Not a big deal, especially since we got to see baby!! The tech said everything looked perfectly normal and seemed to be working well!! She didn't tell us the gender, as they aren't allowed, plus I figured they probably couldn't quite tell at this stage anyway, however the tech did refer to the baby as "she" a few times, when explaining things. At one point baby was kicking and really moving  and she said "you can see shes moving around quite a bit" I don't know if that was an error on her part, a force of habit (maybe she calls all babies she lol) or if she was hinting at the gender. Regardless, we were sent home with 5 awesome and clear as day photos!

So were quite releived my dates are off, as if they weren't I would have to have an amniocentisis done. Thank god I don't and were in the clear. But it certainly has been a stressfull/exciting 24 hours for us. I was so concerned about baby, it was an awful feeling even just knowing there was a small possibility of something being wrong.But I couldnt be happier now that I have seen baby and that it has 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 eyes, a perfect spine and all that good stuff!! And the HB was 150 too! Yay!

But this situation is exactly why I was so mad in the beginning when I learned BC does not offer first trimester screening/ nucal translucency screening. Unless you don't know your LMP or you are high risk they don't to an US until 18 weeks. And I was so upset when learning that because I thought it was ridiculous one had to wait until almost halfway through pregnancy to find out if everything was developing normally and as it should. If they had done Nucal translucency screening in the first trimester or a dating ultrasound I wouldn't have had to go through the stress of yesterday, being told there is a slightly higher risk my baby has down syndrome at, what we assumed was near the halfway mark at that point. Almost 17 weeks. When really it was as simple as my dates being off!! If something really was wrong it would be near impossible for me to terminate this far in, especially after hearing the HB 3 times. I just wouldn't have it in me. But thank god we don't need to think about that and our minds are put at ease.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:46am

Yay for good news! I opted not to do any screenings that would freak me out :/ Not worth the stress! My midwife was telling me about the last screening I could have.. I opted not to with my little girl, and opted not to with this baby. The accuracy being way off.. I thought why freak myself out! We don't need more stress! I'm glad to hear they put your mind at ease. Tell them to keep their stress inducing vague screenings for someone else :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:25am

So glad you were able to see your little one on ultrasound and that it put your mind at ease!  Those images are so amazing.  Can't wait for my next one in 2 weeks!!!

BabyName Ticker