New job

iVillage Member
New job
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 11:01pm

This week I got a new job offer! Yay! I will be working some overnights (about 3 every other week-ish) while DH works long days. We are moving a couple hours away but into a different state. This is all very exciting .....

My biggest stressor (along with just trying to make everything work) is finding daycare/childcare and keeping things from being too hard on DS. DS is a fairly laid back (though getting his voice) a little over 2.5 year old. He is recently in mommy mode and DH has difficulty with bedtime if I am not there though DS used to be ok if it was just him putting him to bed and typically we are both there.

Any advice.

I start around Nov 1st but DH (and therefor DS since we still have childcare .... wonderful childcare ... in our current area) so I will be going back and forth a lot to start till they and the 4-legged kids move over. DH is transferring to the area where my new job is, but it will likely take longer and how much longer is up in the air. Hopefully by December.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Siggie
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:11pm
Oh! does anyone have experience with care.com?
Siggie
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:08pm
Yeah i know. Dcp actually was a teacher in his room at the daycare center he started at and around the time we had to look for cheaper, more flexible options, she was setting up her own private daycare. i knew she was goid with him but didnt know her family at all at the time but i definitely felt more comfortable with her than with someone i had interviewed and visited once. so we went with it. i could not have found anything better and i cant stand giving it up. they really treat him as their own. Especially her dh but really everyone. ds skypes with dcp's mother in Bangladesh regularly and they miss him if he is not there.
i know it was seriously luck to fall into this situation but now that we have it, it is hard to think of him anywhere else.
you are absolutely right though. i will totally use those resources you posted. i really appreciate that.
Siggie
iVillage Member
In reply to: akhtarsa
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 11:51am
IMHO, what you are describing is a good friend who watches your child. I think you need to be clear in your mind that there are two aspects to this person you are describing--the relationship you have with her and her family, and the fact that she watches your child. It sounds like you value both and will lose both. You want to replace both, but really only one can be searched for....the other will grow over time. You can hire a wonderful, intelligent, enriching and fun child care provider. You can't move to a new city and hire a friend.

I don't think you need to lower your expectations about your kid at all. I think you just need to be realistic about who and what you are looking for. You are looking for and hiring a child care provider, not a new friend. If the person turns into a friend over time, that's great. If not, you can still give your child an exceptional and wonderful experience with someone who truly values him and provides excellent care.

Our son's daycare teacher (from a NAEYC accredited center) is amazing and energetic. She is funny and careful and truly appreciates who he is as an individual. She also babysits for us, but we aren't friends and we don't hang out.--partly because she is like 15 years+ younger than I am. But she is a great teacher. I have other good friends here who would come over at 11pm if we had an emergency. They have other jobs, and that is ok.

Just MHO though.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:36pm
Thanks. i will check those out.
here is the thing no search will help me find what i have now. A little over a week ago ds cut his head on the coffee table and we called dcp because her dh is a doctor and ran over to get his opinion if we should bring him to the er. when we decided yes, they came to the er with us at 11pm! and that is just one example.
i think i seriously need to lower my expectations but when it comes to my kid that is hard!
Siggie
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:58pm
What a lot of excitement for you--good things for sure, but still challenging. As far as looking for child care, there are several resources that may be helpful to you in finding good quality care in your new location. Online, I would suggest checking out the websites for the national association for the education of young children (www.naeyc.org) and/or the National association for Family child care (www.nafcc.org). Both organizations Provide intensive quality control measure to Their accredited programs in a consistent and rigorous way. This is a better marker of quality than many state certifications and registries because it is focused on many developmental and educational markers, more than just the some states who are only counting the fire but don't require background checks for daycare workers. The other thing I would suggest doing is contacting a local child care resource and referral program (CCR&R) about the availability of care in the area. The should be able help you find local providers to meet your schedule and specific geographic requirements.