Wilbarger Therapressure Therapy

iVillage Member
Wilbarger Therapressure Therapy
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:29am
Does anyone have experience with the Wilbarger Therapressure (brushing) therapy? We are going on our third week using it with my sensory defensive 7 yo son. Brushing every 90 minutes for 4-6 weeks. Just wondering if it helped you? We are committed to giving it our best try. We are fortunate our son attends a charter school and a teacher's aide is brushing him while he is at school. Biggest problem now is he is having difficulty wearing socks and shoes (prefers crocs), and long pants (prefers shorts or sweatpants).

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:02pm

Thanks for your reply! At what point did you decide it was making your daughter's sensory issues worse?

We are on our third week, and as it coicides with the change of the seasons, he seems to be more tactile defensive too. We have two pairs of sweatpants he will wear, and he will not wear jeans (the same kind he wore all last year) or cargo pants (that are the same kind as the shorts he was wearing all summer). He complains everything is too "loose." Makes no sense to us, as sweatpants and Crocs are both loose.

He is having a lot of behavior problems at school. Our OT says many of the other families she has done this therapy with have seen things get worse around week 3 or 4 and then they get better. He's tolerating the brushing and joint compressions so we will keep going.

This is so frustrating and discouraging. I hate getting phone calls from the school that he is hitting a friend, crying and kicking the wall, breaking the pencil sharpener, and otherwise being rude and disrespectful to his teachers. We have just started seeing a new family therapist who is very expensive and highly recommended. I hope he can help us!