Saturday's thread - WHAT HELP YOU?

iVillage Member
Saturday's thread - WHAT HELP YOU?
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 12:58pm

I decided about 8 weeks ago to splurge and pay the money and start going to meetings.  Slowly, but surely the weight is coming off, about a half a pound a week.  I am thrilled.  I bought the paper journal as well as the online etools, plus I sent back my striiv and got a fitbit:

I just love it.  Not water proof, but the customer service is great.  the flower wilts if you aren't active enough.  Count's steps, floors and even monitors  you sleep.   I also broke down and ordered an active link.  This is the first time since 2008 I have actually lost weight.

Please share what has been working for you??

Powered by CGISpy.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 11:20pm

I get a little bit of walking in weekday mornings and afternoons because I walk my oldest to school. Then I try to be active with cleaning around the house and fit in a walk with the youngest, to the post office or by parking farther away than needed when we've driven for shopping and errands.

Because the kids don't walk as briskly as I do (yet) I started walking indoors. No treadmill (and no room for one even if we found a good one used) so I march in place while reading or watching TV. I clocked myself at 2.5 mph that way, not too bad and it works when the weather stinks too.

I've also been adding some sit-ups and push-ups to the walking routine since I could use stronger core and arm muscles!

My scale and clothes keep me accountable, btw. :smileywink: I highly recommend MyFitnessPal for human accountability.

Community Leader
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:44am

I don't use WW, but I thought I'd pop in and post.

I track using My Plate (from Livestrong) and that helps me know when enough is enough.  I've tried going without tracking and I just can't seem to get a handle on how many calories I'm eating without actually seeing them add up.  My heart rate monitor helps a ton with exercise.  Because I'm tracking, I know how many calories I need to burn to stay on track, and my hrm will tell me when I've burned those calories.  Sometimes, it keeps me going longer on the treamill because if I'm at 450, I want to get to 500.  Then I'll want to get to 550, and so on.  Last night, I burned about 750 calories just by pushing myself for 50 more over and over.  I usually only aim for 450, but I was going out last night so I needed more. 

My scale hasn't really been moving, which is frustrating, but I think it was because the battery was bad.  I changed the battery and it went up, which tells me I had probably gained more than I thought.  Which means I could have been losing and I wouldn't have known it.  It was stuck on the same weight, no matter what time of day or what I'd eaten with the old battery.  Hopefully I'll see some movement now. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 10:46pm
I should look for a heart rate monitor. That's a good way to track exercise!

Hadn't heard of My Plate but I'll consider trying it for something different, since I've been with MyFitnessPal since April and something new might be needed - the novelty factor helping to keep me on track again?

My scale keeps bouncing back and forth. As long as it's just a couple pounds that's okay with me, but if it's more, I need to buckle down!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:06pm
The buddy system has really been helping me stay on track. I attend meetings every Saturday with my mom and I walk several times a week with a friend that lives close by. It helps to keep my accountable, plus it is so much more fun to do these things with a friend!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 7:50am
jacobandcoopersmommy wrote:
The buddy system has really been helping me stay on track. I attend meetings every Saturday with my mom and I walk several times a week with a friend that lives close by. It helps to keep my accountable, plus it is so much more fun to do these things with a friend!

How long have  you been a WW's member?  I've been one off and on for years.  This is the first time I have stuck with it, because of first the WW's pedometer and now the fitbit.

I actually track on WW's and MyFitnessPal. I input the fruit, because I tend to overeat.

I had about 16,000 steps last night, and then did a Leslie Sansone video and it bumped me up another 4000 steps.  I'm thrilled the fitbit works for that.