Popcorn sales started.

Community Leader
Popcorn sales started.
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:23pm

D sold $140.00 at the booth he worked last night. 

He has $48.00 from personal sales today. 

He's working a booth tonight.  Crossing my fingers that will get him another $100.00+.  He's hoping to sell $300.00 so he can receive the pack incentive prize - Pump It Up! I'm glad he isn't shooting for the Council $600.00 prize.  It's too hard to get there with the economy like it is and J needing to sell for his troop. 

A bit off topic...our family is shrinking...when I think about all of the family who bought popcorn the first year J sold vs. who is still with us it makes me sad.  Then I think about several extended family members who are barely keeping their heads above water financially and it's another downer. 

Anyway, the sun is shining and we have popcorn for sale :smileywink:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 8:22pm

This popcorn is a tough sell.  Sean's teacher from last year bought 1 item.  He's got his online info out- but the online stuff costs more than what's on our paper and that doesn't include shipping which is yet another amount... so he's going to follow up with a message to not order online- but just see what there is and let him know.  

And I know what you mean about not having many family/friends who can buy from him.  I've only got 2 sets of grandparents and 1 aunt/uncle set and 1 of my cousins who could possible even afford to purchase from Sean.  And the 1 set of his grandparents has already told him they won't purchase popcorn (because they won't eat it) but they will pay for one of his camping trips completely- so that's a nice bonus and I think Sean understands that just fine.  Especially since I've also got his little brother in cub scouts!

Community Leader
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 5:04pm
We have it too. I know with dh working so on and off, we won't be getting much like we had in the past.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:50pm
I'n not looked at the online site this year. We changed popcorn suppliers - this one has the consumer buy a tin and then decide on which items to put in it. Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not a fan of paying shipping.

D's second booth made about the same as the first. There were three scouts who made a trip around the neighborhood over the weekend, so I doubt he has much luck now. We just didn;t have the time to cnavass the entire neighborhood this weekend.

J said he is going to skip door to door sales - we had a discussion about the cost of National Jamboree and Summer Camp and how a little effort on his part with popcorn would certainly be appreciated. I asked him to at least help his brother canvass the neighborhood so that D's camp will cost less and help us there.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:15pm

That's for real... the cost of these events is big. We are just going to have to try harder with some other fundraiser because popcorn isn't doing it for us.  And our troop doesn't have any kind of show and sell set up and never has.  This troop runs it as "optional" and they don't care if a boy sells or not.  But any profit a boy makes does go directly into the scouts individual account... which is an incentive for me... less we would have to pay or more my son would be able to do.

Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:19am
J's troop doesn't do booth sales either.

My friend's son's troop has booths set up. Each scout has to work one shift. All of the profit goes to the troop. Any individual sales made will benefit the scout.
Photobucket