Karsten is doing well

iVillage Member
Karsten is doing well
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:27pm

I can't believe that Karsten is already 19 days old and we still haven't passed his Oct 6th due date. I am so in love with my little peanut that the 70 hours of labor were worth it. I am healing just fine and I still have a little tenderness in my tummy / incision area. Right after birth, I only lost 1 pound due to insane swelling that I had in my legs from the surgery. I just weighed my self yesterday and I am down 19 pounds since birth. I was surprised and had to double check the number. I knew I was dropping some but 19. :smileyhappy:

Karsten still is learning to breast feed and we have to supplement him with breast milk sometimes (most times). I am trying an experiment now where I am not waking him up in the 2.5 to 3 hours to feed to see if he wakes up super hungry and will latch on for longer than 10 minutes. He is a sleepy baby so he latches on and falls asleep. It has been a little over 3 hours since last feeding and I am itching to wake him up NOW. My MIL is here and thought that I should wait a bit. I don't want the poor kid to starve but I'm sure if he was hungry he would wake up. ???  When he sleeps he sleeps and when he is awake his eyes are wide open (below photo). It is so adorable.

I love being a mom even though I am still getting a pattern established. My MIL is staying one more week then it is all me during the day. I still need to tackle taking the dog and the baby for a walk so the dog can pee. One step at a time.

He gained an inch from birth (now 20 inches) and was .5 away from his birth weight of 6 lbs 7 oz at his last appointment so he is growing nicely. Time to check on my peanut again and hope he wakes up to feed......

Karsten_eyesOpen_resize.jpg

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 4:11pm
Awesome! I would suggest waking him frequently during the day, then letting him sleep the long hrs at nite so he gets a nice nitetime sleep habit
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:26pm
what a cutie! hopefully we can go home today -we're having the same bf'ing issue! best tip so far was to change diapers/clothes just before feeding or switching sides. they get all keyed up, and then it takes longer to calm back down enough to fall asleep mid-feed.

congratulations again!!

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:11pm

Thank you for the update. He is adorable. Every time I see one of the babies here it  makes me smile and makes the wait worth it. Hope you can establish a routine soon that works for both of you. Hugs.