Stuffed flounder...YUM!

Community Leader
Stuffed flounder...YUM!
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:48pm

Today on John Besh's New Orleans, he cooked stuffed flounder.  OH, it was to die for!  My first restaurant was on the Gulf Coast and flounder was on our menu.  But I have other fond memories...of going floundering.  

On weekends, North Heights Restaurant & Lounge was THE place to be.  I was open 24/7, near a regional medical center and the campus of University of Southern Mississippi.  So the late night traffic was HEAVY!  I had a nanny for my kids and I spent all night at the restaurant.  After the crowd thinned out at 2-3 a.m., a few die-hards would come back into the kitchen and get the essentials...mop handles, duct tape, and steak knives.  Then we headed for Biloxi beach to hunt flounder.  

Here's how you do it.  You tape the steak knife to the mop handle and fashion a spear.  Take lanterns and wade out into knee-deep water to attract insects to the surface of the water.  The insects attract minnows, who come to feed on them, and the minnows attract the flounder, who come to feed on the minnows.  It's truly the food chain in action.  

Invariably, my still-intoxicated party animals would mistake a foot for a flounder in the dark water, and we always would up taking someone to the ER.  But they still could not wait to go floundering on Friday nights.  

Flounder are ugly but tasty.  

Here's Chef Besh's recipe with photos; I've never used fennel in mine but it was close.  

http://cece-corner.blogspot.com/2012/03/crab-and-shrimp-stuffed-flounder.html

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:34pm

Sound like a redneck thing,  What exactly is a redneck and is being called one a bad thing?

PattyK

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:39pm

Just checked the link, I don't think I would like it presented to me.  I know I eat things that have eyes but I don't want those eyes looking at me while I devour it.

PattyK

Community Leader
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 7:54pm

A redneck is different than a hick, my dad explained this to me when I announced that I ws moving to Mississippi (with my 2 babies).  He said, "Why do you want to take my grandkids and make them Mississippi rednecks?  Isn't Tennessee hicks good enough for you?"

Actually "redneck" used to refer to farmers, who would have a sunburn on the back of the neck from driving the tractor all day.  It's just got a wider application now.  

I don't mind being called a redneck, and neither do any of my redneck friends.  Because we do cool things like flounder gigging with mop handles and steak knives, and most other people wouldn't have a clue about the fun there.   

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 7:58pm

There was a woman who ordered the trout amandine at the supper club where I worked in college...and passed out when we served it to her with head on.  We started taking the heads off after that.  When she got back up, she said, "I don't want to eat something that is looking at me!!!"

And flounder has both eyes on one side...DIABOLICAL!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 4:02pm

One eye staring up at you would be bad enough but two!!  When Bob and I went on vacation we tried and tried to catch some halibut but didn't have any luck.  Got some nice big rockfish, crab, shrimp and salmon.  To bad I don't like salmon, I made Bob leave it all with Anna and Ken our host's and my wonderful Sister and Brother in Law. 

Speaking of my sister she just took a bison down with a bow and arrow, I'm hoping they bring some home to me.

PattyK

Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 4:14pm
WOW! you have a lot going on! Enjoy the shrimp and maybe bison?
Photobucket