Problems!

iVillage Member
Problems!
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 6:15pm

Hello, I am new to this group and a new mommy! Here's the deal:

I am 3 weeks post partum and decided to start exclusively pumping when my daughter was 1 week old. During that first week I had a UTI and was in the hospital for a couple of days and wasn't able to pump. I also was given antibiotics and did not feel comfortable giving my breastmilk to her. So during that week of medication I pumped and dump. I saw a huge decrease in my milk supply... Originally I was getting 3oz per pumping session. 2 weeks later I am lucky if I get 1oz out of it. I have the 'Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump' but am waiting on my online purchase of the 'Medela Pump in Stlye'. What other things should I try to get my milk supply up? I drink plenty of water and pump every 2 hours, but still do not see an increase in my supply. Please help! I really would like to be giving my baby exclusive breastmilk instead of mostly formula (because I can not supply enough of my milk). 

iVillage Member
In reply to: magnetso0
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:09pm

I would suggest Fenugreek, Oatmeal and power pumping. :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:11pm
Hello! I decided to start EPing at 3 weeks pp after not bfing at all and only got a few drops the first week or two. I am now pumping anywhere from 27-30 ozs a day! It's very hard work but possible! I would get a double electric ASAP! A single hand pump is really not going to do much at all for your supply =[
As for building your supply:
Double pump with an electric pump
8-12 times a day including middle of the night for at least 15-20 minutes, longer once you get used to it
Stay well hydrated an eat well
Oatmeal is good for your supply!
Fenugreek tablets, about 10-12 tabs total daily
Power pumps, ten min on, ten min off for a total of an hour, maybe once a day will help too!
Lots of the other ladies should be able to help with more tips! But Pump pump pump! Only way to get more!
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:00pm
All the tips the previous posters gave are great. Also, be sure to read the "beginner's guide" in the intro section. It has a section on boosting supply and all the information you need to be an expert pumper! Congrats on your little one!

Photobucket</