Has anyone else thought Dumb and Dumber could be the Psycho of the 90s?

iVillage Member
Has anyone else thought Dumb and Dumber could be the Psycho of the 90s?
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 7:00pm

One name I've thought up for Dumb and Dumber over the years is 'the Citizen Kane of modern comedy'. I think it's pretty evident if you really appreciate it that it's groundbreaking in ways similar to how Psycho was, like how the leading lady is killed off in the first 20 minutes, the plot is mainly focused on these two goofy dumb guys whereas the plot otherwise revolves around a situation that is purely a suspense movie with cold-hearted criminals involved. There comes a time every once in a while when a movie comes along that turns out to be extraordinary, doing stuff in ways that were never thought to be done before, two stand out old fashioned examples being Citizen Kane and Psycho, then in the 90s along came Dumb and Dumber with the focus on comedy.

iVillage Member

I never quite thought of that movie in those terms; to me, Citizen Kand and Psycho are classics. I just didn't see Dumb and Dumber in the same light. It had some funny moments, but not my favorite film by far. But then, that's the great thing about  movies; there's something out there for everyone! :smileyhappy: