How do you deal with a Co parent who does not feel the same way you do about parenting?

iVillage Member
How do you deal with a Co parent who does not feel the same way you do about parenting?
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:21pm

My husband and I have very different views on parenting.  He expects them to jump when he tells them to do something.  I ask them to do something and let them pay the consequences when they don't (ie, you can have this after you do that).

It's really frustrating when he gets them all riled up because he expected something done NOW.  

How do you handle this?

Photobucket
Community Leader

It's a personality thing. They'll have to learn to compromise and meet in the middle. My son tends to be more prompt if he is reminded that the toy or book will still be there, the show or DVD can be paused but the need to get something done is NOW. My husband, on the other hand, tends to like to say our son's name, wait for the eye contact, tell him what needs to be done and how long it should take to do it.  Also, depending on how the child's request is met will depend on how prompt a child is to meet a parent's request.

Gail