Difficult and sad family situation

iVillage Member
Difficult and sad family situation
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:55pm

I'm terrible when it comes to these types of things.  My uncle had luekemia and was treated with chemo and a bone marrow transplant.  He was in remission but now it's back and worse than before.  They don't think he has much time left.  I'm going to see him tomorrow but I don't know what to say or do.  I've never been good at dealing with people dying and haven't ever known ahead of time that anyone in my family was dying.  What do you say or do at times like these?  I don't want to say or do the wrong thing.

Photobucket

<a href="http://www.ferti

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 11:28pm
Oh Christina, I'm so sorry! Really all you can do is be there...and listen. Ask how he's doing, if there's anything you can do and say how sorry you are and make sure to tell him you love him. You can also bring up fun memories and things that make him laugh. There's not much more to say/do.

Caryn
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:30pm
SO sorry Christine. I think Caryn said it best. I always say the wrong thing at times like this. Its part of my awkward and terrible timing and grace. So I just try extra hard to be a good listener.

Britty  & DH (both 30) TTC since late 2008

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:24pm
I'm so sorry about your uncle, Christina. I think Caryn had great advice for you, all you can do is to just be there and give him lots of love. He probably wouldn't mind just some normal conversation depending on how his day is going.