Can we talk breast pumps?

iVillage Member
Can we talk breast pumps?
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:46am

I went to BRU to start my registry yesterday.  I looked at the Medela and the Ameda breast pumps.  I definitely want a double electric pump.  I tried a manual (Avent Isis) with my last son and had trouble with it.  Anyone have any experience with the Ameda Purely Yours?  I think that the one I rented after my last son was born but that was 11 years ago so I'm a little sketchy.  It just seemed a little less expensive than the Medela but I want to make sure it's a good quality pump.  Any BTDT's that can give me a brief review?

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 7:36am

Awesome!  Thanks for the great feedback ladies.  I may need to re-think my choice.  I don't want to go for the cheaper price tag yet get less quality.  I will do a bit more investigating.

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 5:34am
I've had both pumps and I would highly recommend the Medela over the Ameda. I tried different cones, different valves, different everything with the Ameda and still only got a couple ounces per pumping session. My results were so much better with the Medela!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 10:14pm

I have loved my experience with the Medela brand.  With my last two boys I worked full time and was able to successfully pump at work until they self weaned at 10-11 months.  I had the Medela Swing with a manual pump as backup.  The Swing is a single electric/battery powered pump, but since my boys only nursed off one breast per feeding, it was all I needed.  (I make tons of milk.)  The Swing is also half the price of the Pump in Styles which was a plus for us.  

Out of two kids, I have never had a problem using the Medela pumps, and have never had any issues with dependability.  :smileyhappy:  

With this baby, a good friend has already given me a like new Pump in Style.  I only need to buy new hoses and shields.  To be honest, I don't need it, because I'm now a SAHM, but I'm thankful for it nonetheless.  I'll probably end up buying a manual pump, just because I'm more comfortable with it.  LoL

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:36pm

Haven't used either one, however, while reading some of the informatiion on them I noticed something that may be important to consider.  Medela (I think it was) uses an open system which does allow air pollutants to contaminate the milk.  This would be important to consider if you'll be pumping in an area that has lower air quality.

Lisa