Groin pull and exercise

iVillage Member
Groin pull and exercise
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:02am

I seem to be prone to groin pull, it must be something in the way I walk/run, though I've no idea what. Anyway, doc says I shouldn't overuse the legs and whatnot while my body repairs itself, but the problem is I am going to be out of my MIND unable to really move the way I want. I'm used to power-walks and high-impact cardio. Does anyone have any suggestions for something else I can do while my body repairs itself?

Thanks!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:25pm

Sorry to hear!  Do you have access to a pool where you can swim but use a board for your lower body. That would be a real challenge.  You can always lift weights, upper body, use a tube and "row" quickly w/ control.  Maybe you could find a local trainer who can work around your injury.  Good luck with it!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:35pm

Hi and welcome. I'm going to second the idea of checking with a personal trainer to see not only what you can do while you are recovering but also how to prevent groin pulls. One of my husband's friends dealt with this constantly and finally he signed up for a few sessions with a trainer and he says it was the best money ever spent. Turned out he was over doing one muscle group which was making another weaker and once they got his workouts balanced he stopped having the frequent injuries. 

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:49pm

I agree-- a good trainer can spot a lot of muscle imbalances and help prevent some injuries. As I learned this weekend, everyone has something going on.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:30pm

I'm afraid I have no way to get to a gym other than on foot (which I'm supposed to be avoiding), and don't have the time or money for a membership. Is there anything else?

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:59am

You can do upper body, sitting exercises, if you can get resistance tubes. They're inexpensive and easy to use. Try these but only the seated ones, or ones that can be done seated (or lying):

http://www.askthetrainer.com/resistance-band-exercises/