Dancing lessons for teen boys?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Dancing lessons for teen boys?
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:05am

As a grandfather, I would love to see my 2 grandson's enrolled in dancing lessons. My reason is two assist them meeting girls at HS dances and proms and later in life to share an activity both men and women could enjoy together for a lifetime.

Your thoughts on this idea are appreciated especially you women. Thanks Ed

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 10:36am
I think dance lessons may be fun for them but as far as high school dances it may not help much. In our area at least the music played at these dances is the current favorites and traditional dancing isn't really done. Mostly it seems to be the 'bump and grind' dancing. I took ballroom dancing in jr. high and had a ball but have not used it since. And that was 40 years ago.
Pam
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 3:31pm

I take ballroom/swing/lating dance lessons myself.  This is definitely not the kind of dancing they do in high school.  It's pretty rare for anybody under 40 to be in the classes.  I think if the local YMCA, or teen activity center had some kind of dance classes geared toward teens it probably would be hip-hop--you could check into that, but don't enrol them unless they are interested.  But you are right, later in life, women love to find men who know how to dance.

Community Leader
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 4:55pm

Do your grandsons have any interest in learning how to dance? Like others mentioned, at the HS dances they didn't do "traditional" dances. Even if the kids know how to do the steps I don't think the music is conducive to it. 

Here its possible to find "cotillion" or ballroom dancing" classes geared towards kids in the 5-8th grade group. Its as much to teach social graces as dance steps. But I don't think its offered for older kids. When kids need to learn a dance such as the waltz for a specific event I've heard of them hiring a dancing teacher.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:28pm

I hate to break it to ya, Grandpa, but I just don't see teenage boys lining up to watch "Dancing With The Stars" or "Glee". Dancing for kids today aint what you remember it to be, as the link below makes ABUNDANTLY clear.  When I was watching the Today Show, I 'bout spit my coffee across the room.  Of course, in the interest of full disclourse, a few weeks ago when Al Roker said "The Pitbull people are in the back", I thought he was talking about a dog rescue organization.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/14/david-gregory-psy-gangnam-style_n_1884792.html    The video is priceless, and the article is very funny, too.

If your grandsons display interest in dancing, then lessons are appropriate.  If they displayed interest in tennis, then lessons in THAT would be appropriate also.  If they are NOT interested, then lessons are a waste of time and money.  I have no doubt that the boys will be able to meet girls without dance lessons.  In fact, it has been my experience that most kids meet BEFORE they go to a dance, and that when they DO go, they learn whatever kind of gyration is going on,  from their friends

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:21am
Any chance Grandma could partner with them some afternoon and teach the box step or swing? I think that might do it for what you're looking for, to be ready for weddings, etc., but otherwise I doubt they'd want to attend anything formal.

Sue
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:17pm

My friend is a high school teacher who has chaperoned some dances.  I have heard of "grinding" before--which is just what you might imagine.  She says she has to keep kids from practically having sex on the dance floor.

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:50pm

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:53pm
If they are interested, sure. It won't do any good at this age if they are not interested.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 2:05pm

Oppa Gangnam Style!!! I love it but I'm starting to hate it because I've had that song stuck in my head for the past 10 days. Have you seen the YouTube video that first went viral?

From what my kids told me, that dance would be very tame for a HS dance. A lot of the time the dances were essentially simulated sex acts.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:17am

<<<Have you seen the YouTube video that first went viral?>>>  Not untill AFTER my morning visit with the Today show!  Then I asked YDD about it, because she is the Queen of Pop.  She said she knew the song, but couldn't understand a word of it,which was a FIRST for her.  Then she realized that the singer was speaking most of it in Korean!!  So my quest to figure what "Gangnam Style" ment, led me to the link below.  And i found out that this is actually a VERY sharp kid...

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/15401604-421/psys-hit-gangnam-style-pokes-fun-at-a-real-south-korean-place.html

Pages