Dancing lessons for teen boys?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Dancing lessons for teen boys?
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:05am

As a grandfather, I would love to see my 2 grandson's enrolled in dancing lessons. My reason is two assist them meeting girls at HS dances and proms and later in life to share an activity both men and women could enjoy together for a lifetime.

Your thoughts on this idea are appreciated especially you women. Thanks Ed

Pages

Community Leader
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 4:45pm

1955? I was 3 so no I don't remember much! My oldest brother was born in 1945 (which I assume is your year of birth as well) and since I remember doing the twist when I was about 10yo I guess he would have doing it at HS dances then.

That thing about the skirt length persisted, at least at Catholic schools, until the mid-60s...at that point even they probably had to give in to the tidal wave of change. By the late 60s girls were starting to be allowed to wear pants to school (at least at public schools) and skirt length was becoming a non-issue.

<I noticed songs have lost the melody part too and I can't understant or hear the lyrics either.>

I would say that depends on the song. There are so many more musical styles that we can hear now, its not just whatever makes it into the Top 40 playlist. Do you have iTunes on your computer? Every week they give away at least one free download, I've heard/collected a lot of different songs that way.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:10am

Oh Ed, you are too funny.  I guess you're even a little older than me since by the time I was in high school we weren't doing the twist--I don't know if the dances we did had names.  My mom used to say that instead of learning an actual dance, the slow dances looked like the people were just hugging and rocking back & forth.  I have to say that if people do learn to do ballroom dancing, it is actually very sensual--think tango or bolero.  Unfortunately things have gotten a little out of hand at teen dances now.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:08am

He actually went to college here in Boston--I think Boston Univ. & Berklee College of Music.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:17am

<<<Have you seen the YouTube video that first went viral?>>>  Not untill AFTER my morning visit with the Today show!  Then I asked YDD about it, because she is the Queen of Pop.  She said she knew the song, but couldn't understand a word of it,which was a FIRST for her.  Then she realized that the singer was speaking most of it in Korean!!  So my quest to figure what "Gangnam Style" ment, led me to the link below.  And i found out that this is actually a VERY sharp kid...

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/15401604-421/psys-hit-gangnam-style-pokes-fun-at-a-real-south-korean-place.html

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 2:05pm

Oppa Gangnam Style!!! I love it but I'm starting to hate it because I've had that song stuck in my head for the past 10 days. Have you seen the YouTube video that first went viral?

From what my kids told me, that dance would be very tame for a HS dance. A lot of the time the dances were essentially simulated sex acts.

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:53pm
If they are interested, sure. It won't do any good at this age if they are not interested.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:50pm

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:17pm

My friend is a high school teacher who has chaperoned some dances.  I have heard of "grinding" before--which is just what you might imagine.  She says she has to keep kids from practically having sex on the dance floor.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:21am
Any chance Grandma could partner with them some afternoon and teach the box step or swing? I think that might do it for what you're looking for, to be ready for weddings, etc., but otherwise I doubt they'd want to attend anything formal.

Sue
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:28pm

I hate to break it to ya, Grandpa, but I just don't see teenage boys lining up to watch "Dancing With The Stars" or "Glee". Dancing for kids today aint what you remember it to be, as the link below makes ABUNDANTLY clear.  When I was watching the Today Show, I 'bout spit my coffee across the room.  Of course, in the interest of full disclourse, a few weeks ago when Al Roker said "The Pitbull people are in the back", I thought he was talking about a dog rescue organization.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/14/david-gregory-psy-gangnam-style_n_1884792.html    The video is priceless, and the article is very funny, too.

If your grandsons display interest in dancing, then lessons are appropriate.  If they displayed interest in tennis, then lessons in THAT would be appropriate also.  If they are NOT interested, then lessons are a waste of time and money.  I have no doubt that the boys will be able to meet girls without dance lessons.  In fact, it has been my experience that most kids meet BEFORE they go to a dance, and that when they DO go, they learn whatever kind of gyration is going on,  from their friends

Pages