Preeclampsia testing

iVillage Member
Preeclampsia testing
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:24am

Just curious if anyone else is or has been tested for preeclampsia so far. My doctor ordered it on Thursday and I go back in on Monday to find out the results. For those that were tested but came up negative were you allowed to go to work still. My boss said her doc took her off work even though hers was negative. I'm not as worried at this point since I am full term in a week, but i kinda hate to be off work and spend less time with me new baby after if there isn't anything actually wrong (I don't have any symptoms other than protein in urine so I am hoping for the best).

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 3:39pm
I always thought I would get preeclampsia but never did. I hope you don't get it. Good luck!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 5:26pm
Doesn't preeclampsia have to do with blood pressure? I've had protein too but my dr. doesn't seem concerned about it since I don't have any bladder infection symptoms
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 5:36am
My doc sais certain levels of protein are normal. Could also be a sign of not enough hydration, so she always told me to drink more, and that helped reduce the level.

- JM

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:43am
If it makes you feel better at all when mine was positive this pregnancy they ordered it Thursday, I dropped it off Friday and my doctor actually called me on a Saturday to let me know it was positive and to start planning for an induction. We made it 4 more days before I woke up and couldn't see straight and had a bp of 172/106 and we had to induce.

With my daughter I had two negative pre-e labs before they turned positive and as soon as my BP went up I was advised to stop working since I had a very stressful job on the ambulance. But I also had a history of full blow eclampsia with my son, so that might have effected the decision.

Hope everything is well and the labs are negative so you can work until your LO wants to come and spend lots of time after with baby :smileyhappy:
Melissa

pregnancy week by week

Mom of 2 with one on the way!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 7:59pm

I had several protien in urine days and single check blood pressure spikes, but pre-e tests were negative and repeat bp checks were always lower.  Single symptoms at a time are fine.  It's a pattern that's bad.  If you just have urine protein, no big deal.  If your test comes back positive for pre-e, you definitely need to listen to the doc and rest.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 8:40pm

Heres an update:

Doc said all my tests came out fine and she let me go back to work this week. She said it may be stress related and if more symptoms show up or i get protein high again she will take me off for the remainder. I'm not sure i should have gone back though as i am feeling pretty bad tonight after work. I have a pretty easy job and can sit all day, so i am not sure if it is his newly lowered position this morning that made it extra hard to walk or just the few hours working that did me in. DH said I need to call my doc on Thursday and have her write up ppwrk to take me out starting next week. I figure with having tomorrow off I can get a feel for whether it is work related or just that he is too low to function well. 

Either way thanks for your info and advice :smileyvery-happy: Doc says about 2 weeks anyhow based on my exam yesterday. I hope she's right.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:13pm
Fingers crossed!

- JM