Reading?

iVillage Member
Reading?
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 12:27pm
Jean mentioned going to the library in the moon thread and it got me wondering what everyone is reading? Do read books? Magazines? Both? < I love Atlantic monthly. I like having something I can sit in the pool and get wet and read :smileywink: < I am reading A Place Called St Johns now. It is the story on st johns, edisto, kiawah, seabrook and wadmalaw islands of south carolina. < My oldest girlfriend had The Historian when she was here, so That is on my next list.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: elle_fl
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 3:49pm

I am addicted to magazines, but nothing serious, more like fashion mags.  lol  I actually belong to a book club and sometimes I even read the books.  lol  I re-read The Great Gatsby when my son had to read it for school and I also read Sense & Sensibility for book club.  I did start a book on vacation called Olive Kitteredge but haven't finished it yet. 

Community Leader
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 4:19pm

When I sit down to read it is usually for escape, and my favorite escape is to another era---Regency romances are my favorite but I'll read about other periods too from the right authors. I also read fiction set in the present occasionally. I read magazines sometimes too, Oprah or Bazaar or Sunset.

We cancelled our subscription of home delivery of the local newspaper because it was becoming increasingly a waste of time and money, so now I get most of my news online...which can be very time consuming because there is so much to sort through. There's something to be said for having an editor decide which stories are important enough to make the cut. We are thinking of getting a tablet and subscribing to the digital version of some paper so we can read the news at the breakfast table again, albeit one at a time! 

Community Leader
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 5:01pm
I get the Chicago Tribune daily, I get a local paper once a week and Ladies Home Journal and National Geographic monthly. I am reading Jesus Through their Eyes, a look at the gospels through middle Eastern point of view.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:43pm

Another Chicago Tribune subscriber here - yes it's a waste of paper :smileysad: but I do like to see my younger ones reading it every morning. I read constantly. The book I just finished was the Annotated Emma, David Shapard version. I love Austen. I do also love the Atlantic Monthly. We're all readers and will read anything!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:04pm
I work in an elemetary school library and read alot of the novels there. I like to be able to recommend a book that I have actually read. I just reread Blubber by Judy Bloom, which was one of my favorite books from my childhood. I swear the words just came flooding back to me as I read it. We are using this book in our Anti Bullying program at school. After I finished that, I started A Heroes Guide to Saving Your Kingdom, which is about all the "Prince Charmings" in the Fairy tales. The fairy tale never portrays them as much more than trivial things, but in this book they come together to truly save the kingdom from evil. It's a debut book by the author and I'm enjoying it.
When I'm not reading kid books, I like pretty mindless reading from the adult section. Danielle Steele, Sophie Kinsella, Fern Michaels are all faves. I love different ladies magazines and the occasional gossip magazine.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:47pm

I am a big reader, too, but it can absorb me, so I try to limit myself.  We don't get any newspapers anymore--we get it all online.  I usually start with Yahoo News, and I also get the big headlines on my Galaxy.  The last book I read was Christopher Moore's "Fluke". He's a bit of an aquired taste, but he can be VERY funny.  Next on my list is the second book in Justin Cronin's "Passage" trilogy, "The Twelve".   My taste runs to sci-fi, horror/thrillers, and guys like Carl Hiassen, but I will read the back of a milk carton if desperate--today I was reading someone's mis-delivered Sports Illustrated! 

iVillage Member
In reply to: tooner2006
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 10:59pm
I second the recommendation of Olive Kitteridge. I really enjoyed that book. I am in a book club and I find that I don't have much time to read more than our one book a month. This year we have been reading a lot of non fiction, which is fine with me because the older I get the more I prefer non fiction. Right now I am reading Rivertown. It is the story of two peace corp volunteers in China. This year we also read The Warmth of Other Suns, also non fiction and about the great migration of African Americans from the south to the north. We also read Empire of the Summer Moon, which was about the Commanches. I recommend all 3 of those books. I do still like fiction, but not one particular genre. My tastes are pretty eclectic, but I am not a fan of horror or mysteries. Although I don't mind if a novel has elements of each. I guess I am kind of picky. Robin
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:02pm
I really enjoy some of the young adult and children's literature that I have read over the years as my children have grown up. I was particularly impressed with The Book Thief and Holes. Have you read those books?
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:03pm
Oh, another good one is Ender's Game.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:07pm
Sci-fi and horror... Do you read any Orson Scott Card or Neil Gaiman? I like Card, but I had a tough time with American Gods when my husband recommended it. He also gave me Hyperion by Dan Simmons and I really disliked that book. It was pretty much straight science fiction. Michael Chabon wrote some sci-fi, alternative history stuff, and I like his writing as well.

Pages