Was the U/S tech hinting at gender ?? ;)

iVillage Member
Was the U/S tech hinting at gender ?? ;)
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 1:48pm

I had an urgent U/S this past Friday due to some bloodwork that was off because apparently my dates are off. Well they aren't technically off, my LMP was 17 weeks tomorrow but I am only going into week 15 now with the pregnancy. Ultimately everything is totally fine though!

Anyways, we got to see baby obviously, who looks absolutely perfect and everything seems to be totally normal, but as the Tech was talking and pointing things out she used the word "she" a few times. She never actually told us what we are having, I don't even think they are allowed but I am wondering if "she" was a slip of the tongue, or maybe she was hinting at the gender? I can't see her accidently spilling the beans and letting it slip. I am pretty sure she was an actual doctor and not just a regular technician too. I like to think she was hinting but I don't want to start thinking I am having a girl if that isn't the case lol At one point she said "you can see she's moving around quite a bit now after having some quiet time". Who would say slip of the toungue and who would say hinting?

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:01am

Oh geezzz!  I agree!  The ovulation thing slipped my pregnant mind.  *sigh*  My brain is mush at this point.

Well Pink, you have a very different case.  I hope you get answers soon!  :smileyhappy:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:56am

Thanks for the replies. The US lady measured the baby and said it measures at 14 weeks. I was somewhat confused since my Dr at my last checkup said my uterus measured big (for what we thought at that point I was at 16 weeks) at 18 weeks. But the Dr should have the results in today and will probably call me to come in so I'll go over it with her then. Technically I should be 17 weeks but it does depend on when I ovulated I guess. I always wondered why they calculated from LMP since it isn't necessarily the most reliable. Especially since I very well could have ovulated at a different time then normal since I had only stopped the pill for about two/three months at that point. Very confusing. But this is exactly why this province needs to offer first trimester screening and  a dating US even if you know your LMP.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:39am
Not to start a debate or anything but, if she ovulated late, then she might only be 15 weeks. LMP is just a guide and some ladies have longer cycles than others depending on when they ovulate.

I would do what the previous poster suggested, I would call and ask. Good luck!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:16am

I'm not trying to upset you, I promise!  I'm just speaking from experience.  After reading and posting on your "DC" post, I really believe that place is medically behind?!  Wowzers!

Like the past poster said, your pregnancy is dated from the first day of your last period, so you are 17 weeks.  The baby could be measuring small, but you are still 17 weeks. 

Maybe the tech was hinting!  That would drive me crazy! LoL  Did the tech give you any pictures?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:02am

Maybe! We didn't find out with my third boy but when we left the 20 week sono I felt like she had given it away. She kept calling the baby he and she never focused in on the gentals but knew the sex. I felt like she would have had to look closer and block the screen from us for a bit to see girl parts. I don't know but he was a he! You should have asked her! She most likely would have told you if she could see anything. I guess your bloodwork says you are 15 weeks as opposed to 17?  15 weeks is a bit early but the dr said I should be able to find out with this one at 16 weeks and they looked at 13 weeks and told me there were no boy parts. They did say it was too early at 13 weeks to guess though because they all still look similar then. I think you should call back and ask. They probably have it in their records.

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan