Baby Bed Bumper Pads?!

iVillage Member
Baby Bed Bumper Pads?!
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 5:07pm

What happened to them?!  

As I'm shopping and registering for baby items yesterday at Babies R' Us, I quickly noticed almost none of the bedding came with a bumper pad!  For some themes, you can buy the pad serperately, but it's pretty expensive! 

Then I saw these paper thin fabric or mesh "bumper pads," and thought, "how is that suppose to cushion the baby when she rolls into the rails?" 

Anyway, I guess they are doing away with padded bumpers to reduce SIDS?

I was going to make my own bedding for the baby bed, but I'll probably just get a pink baby bed liner now to go with the cute Bird theme I really liked. 

It's only been 4 years since I decorated a nursery, but things have changed so much!  Wow!

What do you think?  Will you be using a bumper pad, or the liners?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 7:43pm

I know! I love looking at the new fangled prams every time i go into one of those stores...fun!

Candice

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 7:24pm

After seeing all the in store changes since my last baby, we are deffinately not using a bumper pad.  I was just in shock while there.  Things change so much!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 6:52pm

Yes, the US has new legislation coming in that no longer allowes the sale of bumpers for cots. 

ABOUT TIME TOO!

In the year DS#1 was born 12 babies died from SIDS in my state alone. 11 of these were because of use of cot bumpers and such like "safety" devices. This included items to help babies not roll over in their sleep etc. What a horrible waste.

It doesn't matter if your baby bumps their head on the cot sides...they'll only do it once or twice before they learn not to do it again. How hard do you think they'll be hitting their heads?!

Cute? yes. Neccissary? no. Life threatening? Absoloutely!

Candice

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 5:24pm

I'm goimg to try the mesh bumper pads/liners. Yeah, I think it's to reduce SIDS so baby cant roll over and press its face against a non breathable fabric.