Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 5:38pm

I must have made a mistake. I  apologize.  i am trying to delete the message.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:39pm

Is this a famous case?  I don't understand.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:15pm

What laws changed? i lived there when most of the abuse towards me happened and would love to know of the story behind your post.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
I believe Suave is referring to a recent workplace shooting in which the former partner of an abuser, along with two (?) or three others were shot and killed by the abuser. I think the abuser also committed suicide or was killed by police. But I could be totally mistaken.
I'm peeved because I had a post all typed out and when I went to post, got told that "authentication failed" and POOF, there went my post. Will try to re-write and repost later this afternoon.

Mama Harmony

iVillage Member

I don't understand why you are upset--all I am reading is that the petitions for injunctions will still be handled in the expected way.  Where is the change?

iVillage Member

Maybe you are correct, and the change is buried further on in the document--as you mentioned, it is much longer.  Did you learn about the change in a news report, or an article online?  I think we all agree that law enforcement and the courts could do more to protect people in abusive situations.

For others who haven't heard of this horrific event, here's a link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/os-turkey-lake-road-shooting-orlando-20120927,0,7796601.story

Apparently the abuser has attacked or threatened numerous women over the past ten years, injunctions have been granted, he has violated them, and nothing has happened.  I can see two things that need to change right there: first, when someone fails to follow an order from the court/police that affects an individual's safety, there should be an immediate penalty; and second, if an individual demonstrates a pattern of dangerous behavior, he or she should be dealt with swiftly and severely.  I think this man was so crazy (or felt so entitled) that he probably would have violated any restriction he felt like violating, but if his pattern of violence had been taken seriously, his victims might have been spared.

Community Leader

...This is so very sad.

The worst part is it could have been prevented.

<3

And then they wonder why women don't leave...

An "Abusive" man is dangerous!

Nightangel