Pregnancy Chat - October

iVillage Member
Pregnancy Chat - October
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:24pm

Please let me know if your info needs to be updated! ~Jessica

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liz - October 9th, 2012 - TEAM GREEN!

Jamie - October 9th, 2012 - TEAM BLUE!

baby

Sara - October 22nd, 2012 - TEAM BLUE!

pregnant

Adrienne - November 7th, 2012 - TEAM BLUE!

pregnancy

Cheryl- November 9th, 2012 - TEAM BLUE!

pregnancy

Jessica - November 17th, 2012 - TEAM PINK!

pregnancy

Jules - November 24th, 2012 - TEAM PINK!

pregnancy due date

Em - November 26th, 2012- TEAM PINK!

babies

Shawn - November 29th, 2012 - TEAM PINK!

pregnancy

Sandy - March 23rd, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW!

pregnancy calendar

Cassie/CJ (cassiejune) - March 29th, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW!

pregnancy week by week

Ruby - April 13th, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW!

pregnancy

Erin/"E" - April 15th, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW!

babies

Ella - May 21st, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW! 

pregnancy

Suzie - May 29th, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW!

pregnancy calendar

Mandy - June 2nd, 2013 - TEAM YELLOW!

pregnant

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 2:25pm
Good luck, Sandy! :smileyhappy:

-Suzie :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 7:01pm
Yay sandy GL!!

Hi to everyone else!! So many babies will e arriving in the next two months sooo exciting!!!

I am doing good! A week and half till my appt! This wait is killing me!! Almost there though! And after my appt (Monday 22) we leave for Disneyland on thursday!! :smileyhappy: yay!!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 10:02am
Mandy - I AM SO JEALOUS THAT YOU GET TO GO TO DISNEYLAND. I'm not talking to you any more today....

Jess - How did your convo with DH go? I think the PP's had some good ideas and I'd be interested to see how he comes around. You have a pretty specific condition with a pretty specific protocol. Surely he can see the value of that.

Sandy - how'd it go?

I can't remember a darn thing anyone else posted right now. I know Em posted and I'm glad she's alright! *waving*

AFM - Fewer kicks and more pushes and squirms and wiggles lead me to believe that this baby is going to be my biggest yet. I'm also interested to see if the old wives tale about heartburn = hair will be true. All of mine have been virtually bald. As with anyone who is 8.5 months pregnant, I have the propensity to be miserable. And I sort of am! DH is being a pain right now and my DS has a crazy schedule with school. DD is clingy and I'm OK with that. I'm clinging to my last few days with her being my baby.. I'm going to miss it!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 11:23am

Jules - sorry about the dilemma with childcare.  That really stinks!  Hope you can get something figured out that you're comfortable with.  I'm having baby on 11/20, so maybe we'll only be a day apart :smileyhappy:  And great news that baby is head down!

Sandy - any luck finding clothes?  I have some things from Old Navy and I really like them.  However, I find that they're sizing is always really inconsistent which is really frustrating, espcially since most of it has to be ordered online.  As far as the long sleeve/short sleeve I've found that I can buy non maternity cardigans and those work great to throw over short sleeves.  I've gotten a few from Target.  They're not button down, they're the longer, "cocoon" style ones.  Hope your interview went well!!

Jessica - how did the meeting with the lawyer go?  I'm sorry you're having to deal with this crap, it must be so frustrating!  As far as induction I really wanted to avoid it at all cost with DS, but my water broke and no matter what I did active labor didn't really start on it's own (non consistent enough to make any progress anyway) so I guess I was kind of induced since I had to go on pitocin.  I wish I could give you advice, but I guess it's really a decision only you and DH and make.  I think your idea of sitting down with DH and MW and reviewing pros and cons is a great idea.

Mandy - getting closer to your appointment!  Sore bb's stink, but take it as a good sign!

Em- yay for head down!!  Love that DS is attached to his baby doll :smileyhappy:  That's funny about your friends with Jack and Stella!  I'm still not totally convinced it should be Stella as I still love the name Reese as well, but I feel like we're leaning that way a bit for now.  Naming Jack was so easy!  LOL!

Hope I didn't miss anybody!

AFM - Overall I'm doing pretty well except for my poor, poor back!  It is SO sore.  It's driving me crazy!!  I still feel like I'm in denial that we're having another baby, still feels surreal, which seems so dumb since we're getting so close and I've had a baby before!  I think part of me feels a little sad that Jack won't be my baby anymore, and part of me is scared of having two kids.  Only 40 days left!!

Shawn 
Mom to DS, July 2009
Expecting our little girl after three m/c - EDD 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:48pm

Jules - funny you mentioned the heartburn because I have had AWFUL heartburn this pregnancy and every ultrasound we have the tech has seen hair. It looks like it's like a 1/4" on the U/S so who know what it is but we never noticed this with Gabby's ultrasound and she was pretty much bald/peach fuzz when born. So I am intrigued to see how much hair this one has.

Shawn - Sorry about your back! I have noticed that lately too I am getting the same....it might be how I am sitting with my new desk at work, but it's not all the time. I totally get you on your little one not being a little one anymore too. I commented to DH this morning how Gabby doesn't look like a baby anymore. She had on jeans, her hat and a sweater and looked like a little grownup. and she even sang herself to sleep last night. I guess she doesn't need me anymore...hehe

Sandy - GL with the interview. I agree with the ladies, I bought a lot of sweaters or t-shirts that weren't maternity shirts, you can really get away with that in the beginning. It's not really until the end that you have to totally worry about your belly exposing (at least in my experience).  and Check out the clearance section at Motherhood maternity, old navy and even target. I LOVE target's clothes. In fact I might keep buying their maternity shirts afte rI am done because I love how they fit my body :smileywink:

AFM - DH and I had a good talk the other night. He is going to come with me to my appointment with my MW on the 22nd. and I am going to talk in depth with the OB about it to get her opinion as well. The more I think about it the more we don't have time to be induced early. I mean if I really need to be that's one thing, but DH has so much going on for SKi season to get ready (he is writing a program for the local high school downhill ski teams) and has to deliver the program the week before I am due and give training sessions...its going to be tight.

We had a good meeting with the lawyer and then another good meeting with the contractor. They agreed to the adjusted end date (we haven't had an end date in forever). so it all has to be done by October 31st. I wished I would have done this a lot sooner, but oh well, in hind sight right?? If they don't have it done by then I am fililng a complaint with the Department of labor and hiring the attorney or we are just walking away depending on how much is done at that point.

So I was looking at our tickers and November is going to be a HUGE baby boom and then nothing until March..I can't believe how many of us are due in November!! :smileywink: I can't wait to "meet" all of our babies!! and see the ones come after the november babies.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 6:47pm

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. My interview went good. The only issue is training they said we cannot miss so I am wondering how I will make my OB appointments. But my DH said they can't discriminate about that and would have to let me go. The job does pay a little less but my DH said to still consider it. However, I am not putting all my eggs in one basket if you know what I mean.

Shawn- I had horrible back pain with David. I am probably in for the same thing this time.

Jules- I had heartburn with David and he had tons of hair. I've already had it again so we'll see about this one.

David Nicholas 12/5/09
Expecting a GIRL 3/23/13

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 9:01pm
Jules - I had terrible heartburn with #1 and he was bald until he was like 2 year old. No real heartburn with #2 and he had a head full of blond hair and still does.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:01pm

I had my 36 week apt today. Nothing too exciting. My GBS Test came back negative, like it has my previous two pregnancies, so I was excited about that. I am .5 cm dilated, so basically nothing. With my previous two, I was already at least at 1 cm by this point. She also said if I do go to my due date, she is guessing the baby will be  a 9 lber. Hoping maybe I will go a teeny bit early, so he isn't as big. I've been saying it from the beginning, I tihnk this will be my biggest baby yet. My other two were 6 lbs 8oz, and 8 lbs 12 oz.

Just curious if anyone has used EPO? Did you take it orrally or insert it vaginally??

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:34pm
Jumping in to give you this info off my VBAC board on EPO's during pregnancy:

EPO (evening primrose oil)
By Jen Vbacfacts Kamel in VBAMC, VBAC, HBAC (Vaginal Birth After one or more C-sections) (Files) · Edit Doc
I'm currently collecting information on EPO for an article, but here is what I have found so far. Once I finish the article, I'll include a link to it here.

It appears that there is insufficient clinical evidence for EPO to be used for cervical ripening and several sources state that it should not be used in pregnant women.

Per the Academy of American Family Physicians, "The use of evening primrose oil during pregnancy is not supported in the literature and should be avoided... The effects of EFA [essential fatty acids which includes EPO] supplementation during pregnancy and lactation remain largely unknown, and their use cannot be recommended. Extensive but transient petechiae and ecchymoses have been reported in a newborn infant whose mother took a total of 6.5 g of EPO during the week before giving birth.20 The oral use of EPO during pregnancy may also be associated with a more protracted phase of labor and an increased incidence of premature rupture of membranes, arrest of descent, oxytocin (Pitocin) administration, and vacuum extraction.21 Additional concerns have been raised about adverse effects of EPO supplementation on conditions including platelet aggregation, cholesterol, and blood pressure,22–27 although there is insufficient evidence to assess these concerns." http://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/1215/p1405.html

Endnote 21 refers to this study: "Findings suggest that the oral administration of evening primrose oil from the 37th gestational week until birth does not shorten gestation or decrease the overall length of labor. Further, the use of orally administered evening primrose oil may be associated with an increase in the incidence of prolonged rupture of membranes, oxytocin augmentation, arrest of descent, and vacuum extraction."
J Nurse Midwifery. 1999 May-Jun;44(3):320-4.
Oral evening primrose oil: its effect on length of pregnancy and selected intrapartum outcomes in low-risk nulliparous women. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10380450

U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health says,

"[There is] insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness for... complications of pregnancy. Research to date suggests that taking evening primrose oil doesn’t seem to shorten labor, prevent high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia), or prevent late deliveries in pregnant women."

"Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking evening primrose oil is POSSIBLY UNSAFE during pregnancy. It might increase the chance of having complications. Don’t use it if you are pregnant."

"Surgery: Evening primrose oil might increase the chance of bleeding during or after surgery. Stop using it at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery."

"Evening primrose oil might interact with medications used during surgery. One person who was taking evening primrose oil and other medications had a seizure during surgery. But there isn't enough information to know if evening primrose oil or the other medications caused the seizure. Be sure to tell your doctor what natural products you are taking before having surgery. To be on the safe side, you should stop taking evening primrose oil at least 2 weeks before surgery." This article also lists possible drug and herb interactions with EPO. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1006.html

Pretty comprehensive article from WebMD where it also says there is "insufficient evidence" to use EPO during pregnancy: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1006-EVENING%20PRIMROSE%20OIL.aspx?activeIngredientId=1006&activeIngredientName=EVENING%20PRIMROSE%20OIL

This is an interesting article though it is 9 years old: http://www.instituteofmidwifery.org/MSFinalProj.nsf/a9ee58d7a82396768525684f0056be8d/f44c26c0836acbb585256dd1006b2a22?OpenDocument

Survey re CNMs & herbal induction methods such as EPO: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10380441
Just interesting info, which may or may not translate to humans, EPO increases the abortion rate in foxes http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/181418
What's interesting here is that there has been *one* study on the oral use of EPO in pregnant women and *zero* studies on the vaginal use of EPO in pregnant women. That's not so much conflicting research, as a total lack of research. :-) It's not that these medical associations don't like EPO, it's just that we don't have any hard evidence proving that EPO does what we all hope it does: soften the cervix and prepare body for labor. We also don't have any hard evidence on potential harms of using EPO. We don't know what the proper dosage is - I see women using an incredible range of doses. What is safe? Maybe X dose of EPO is good, but Y dose introduces XYZ risks. Does it make a difference if the woman using EPO has a scar on her uterus? Or multiple scars? How long should women take EPO? The last month of pregnancy? The last two weeks? Should they take it twice a day or once a day? We just don't know the answers to these questions. That is why these medical organizations are saying not to use it: because there is insufficient evidence on the safety of EPO in pregnant women and there is limited evidence that using EPO introduces risks.

Now, we have one single study on the oral use of EPO in pregnant women which found that EPO did not soften the cervix and labors were associated with higher rates of various complications in comparison to the women in the study who did NOT take EPO: "does not shorten gestation or decrease the overall length of labor. Further, the use of orally administered evening primrose oil may be associated with an increase in the incidence of prolonged rupture of membranes, oxytocin augmentation, arrest of descent, and vacuum extraction." This is one study. It's a very small study - 54 women took EPO and 54 women did not. But it's all we have other than anecdotal experiences. And we have no studies on the vaginal use of EPO in pregnant women. We need more studies on EPO.

n light of this information, it's your choice whether you want to use EPO or not. *I'm not advocating one way or the other.* I'm only presenting the information I've found. And if someone comes across more information on the use of EPO in pg women, I'd love to read it.