11 months postpartum, exclusively breastfeeding and irregular periods?

iVillage Member
11 months postpartum, exclusively breastfeeding and irregular periods?
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 10:46pm

Hi-

My 11 month old is still pretty much exclusively breastfeeding. Just recently we have introduced her to some food, but, only spoonfuls here and there so essentially her food source is still breast milk. This is my second baby and with my first I didn't encounter irregular periods etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into wether this is normal. Did some of you have regular menstrual cycles post partum after having your first and not your second etc? What is the average time it takes for cylces to be regular? My first cycle post partum was at 8 months post partum, then 39 days after then 69 days after. I am jus curious and a little concerned since we do want to try for another baby at some point, but, with irregular cyles this will be nearly impossible.

Thanks,

Alli

iVillage Member

I am living proof that irregular periods do not mean you can't become pregnant.

My periods returned at different times after each of my three children.  They were also irregular from about the age of 18 onwards getting more and more irregular as time went on. Since my late thirties, they have been regular again, and now I'm in my mid-fifties.

But irregular periods in and of themselves do not stop you ovulating or conceiving. I had three children during the years of irregular periods, and it seemed as though my husband only had to glance at me sideways for me to be pregnant. I would learn to follow something like the Billings ovulation method, which can tell you days in advance when you are going to ovulate and how to both become pregnant as well as how to avoid it. Many doctors may want to use the temperature method, but it only tells you after you have ovulated, which may be too late.

I would learn these things now, so whn you are ready to have another baby, you understand well how it all works.

Teresa

iVillage Member
Thanks for the both of your responses. It's so frustrating especially since I know we want to try for another baby and because after my first my periods were coming back like clockwork. . I guess I will just have to track (which I have never done). Because luckily I felt the ovulation pains before. Thank you for the link as well and advice on Billings method. I really appreciate it!