NT scan for gender

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
NT scan for gender
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 4:43am

Who will be trying to find out the gender with the NT scan?  My doc said it carries an 80% accuracy (seems a bit high).  I've never had the scan before and I'd love to but I have to pay out of pocket for that scan so we'll have to skip it and wait for the big ultrasound at 16-20 weeks.  Bummer!  The NT scan for us wouldn't change our approach to the pregnancy anyway but just wondering who will know their baby's gender soon?

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:00am

no NT scan for us.  We won't do any genetic testing as it won't change anything for us.  We did the triple screen with my son and it showed a high probibility for down syndrome.  My DS is fine!  but we had to worry about it the whole pregnancy.  Not again!

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:37am

We're doing the sequential screen next Wednesday (10/10) - is that the same as an NT?  When we did it with our DD they told us it was too early to see anything relating to gender, so I'm not sure we'll even ask this time.....but who knows, this is a different place.  The earlier I can find out gender the better (I'm impatient), but I also want what they tell me to be correct so in that regard I don't mind waiting until the anatomy scan @ 20 weeks.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 6:23pm

I am peeping over from the March board. I am due March 29th and my three boys were all past their due dates so I may very well have an April baby. :smileyhappy:  I had a n/t scan done at 12 weeks 6 days as the first part of my sequential screening. (I have never done this before but I am 40 this time) The tech and then the dr separately looked for the gender for me but all they said was that they didn't see any boy parts. They wouldn't guess the gender but the tech seemed surprised not to see boys parts since I have three boys already and I was so sure this one would be another. She did say that she can usually see boy parts this early but then went on to tell me it was too early to know. The dr looked again and he said there were no boy parts but shrugged it off and said it didn't mean anything because it was too early. I would say that there is no harm in asking them to look but you may not get an answer and even if you do then it is a guess. It was really fun and exciting for me though. Instead of being so sure this baby is a boy I am now having fun wondering. They did say that they would be able to tell me at the 16 week scan if the baby cooperates.

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:23pm
I had a high probability for Trisomy21 with my daughter and Spina Bifidia (forgive me I cannot spell this stuff) with my son. I won't be going genetic tests either both were perfectly fine!
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:42pm
I just got back from my nt scan and the tech wouldn't even make a guess. Did get some good pictures but I'm not sure what to look for to make my own guess so we will be waiting 5 weeks to find out