Daily Chatter: Wow It's October 2012
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 6:43am

Morning.

Already October!  Time is flying...

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 6:52am
Laura, cool to getting to eat your catch! Yay for Tess doing better. Sorry you didnt get to spend much time with dh.

Hilarie, not sure what to tell you. How about a reward system? When she's mouthing off or something, explain to her that that behavior is not acceptable. Every time you find her speaking appropriately and not arguing, give her a sticker. 10 stickers=new hair bows or such. I had to get on a kid at school for talking back to me. The whole room went silent. At least yours is doing it at home and not at school. :smileywink:

I'm a little concerned about my mom coming home. I keep thinking: if the nursing home wont take her because of her drain, how are we supposed to handle it? Sigh... I hope this is the right thing. After yesterday, I just know she has to get out of that hospital. (Her nurses were at least really nice yesterday)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 7:25am

Morning,

Lori,  I have to admit I'd be nervous too,  but I guess if you have a nurse coming in and like you said,  it has to be an improvement overt he hospital.  

Laura,  So glad your dog is doing better,  hopefully the smoke is the cause!!  Will DH be gone just for today?  I hate it when travel time cuts into the weekend!  

Hilarie,  I have to agree with Laura - Phoebe responds much better when we tell her to do something rather than asking.  It doesn't seem like much,  but somehow it works - most of the time.  It could be worse,  at least she behaves when she's not at home!  We had a friends like that growing up - the kids were perfectly well behaved if their parents weren't around,  but when Mom and Dad were there they pulled out all the stops.  They grew up to be perfectly well adjusted adults so I wouldn't stress over it too much.  Like you said she does know how she should be acting.  

We had a fabulous time at the zoo yesterday.  The kids had so much fun and the weather worked out.  it wasn't even too crowded.  It made us realize how much fun we do have when we go.  When we got home lats night we had an email from the zoo asking us again to renew by today - this time $30 less so DH and will do it. 

Here are some pictures:

Phoebe and Harry.JPG

Tiger.JPG

At the tiger exhibit

Monorail.JPG

On the monorail

Harry Hat.JPG

In Phoebe's hat - he just looked so cute!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:00am
Andrea, he is so cute! Love the one of both of them. Yay for a wonderful day at the zoo!

Lori, I'd be nervous, too, just because of the medical part of it. But you will have some guidance and will learn. And because you care so much, she will be so much happier, and that will make all the difference to her. Hang in there! You can do it!

You asked something about the party dresses. Maybe patterns? I don't have any but McCall's go on sale for 99c next Monday. But I suggest tulle skirts if you are going to make something. The one I saw gathered the tulle and sewed it to a very wide ribbon, like 4-6", leaving tails. Then you wrap the ribbon around and it layers the tulle and ties on. For reference for the southern belle, I think of the Disney frog movie with the Beignets. What is the name?! Otherwise I don't really know on that one.

Here's the link. I went to PInterest to find it and still didn't pin it. Ugh! http://www.etsy.com/listing/58441969/black-adult-tutu-long-black-skirt-sewn

Hilarie, we've had to adjust T's rewards/consequences over time. Right now he wants Pokemon cards so he has to do chores to earn them, each for a quarter. Those quarters are super important to him right now. Yesterday I made him pay me for not following directions when shopping. Sometimes you just have to adjust according to the point in time and what works.

T and I went shopping yesterday. Found out the Joann's we would usually go to is permanently closed! They had a water main burst in their store. They already were building a new mega-store anyway. So it was a nice reason to try the other big city we don't usually go to. I loved it! Easier to drive to the shopping area, and it's mostly along one road so you don't have to go from one side of town to the other. It was really nice.

We picked up some fabric for me. I will be a witch. I finally decided to make an apron I saw the pattern on when looking for Hilarie and it will be perfect. So easy to wear every year if I want. Didn't make it to find anything for T. We're going again next week anyway for the 99c McCalls pattern sale and for a new window shade.

This week is standardized testing for us. T missed a practice Friday but they did another one earlier in the week, so at least he's familiar with it. It will be his first since Indiana does it in the spring and we moved before that, and with Missouri doing it in the fall, we moved after that one! Hopefully it all goes well.

Time for school!

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:11am
Laura, I grabbed that book off my bookshelf - I'll take a look again. Sorry DH will be gone and you didn't get to see him yesterday! He'll be home tonight, though?

Lori, good luck today, with your mom! I know she'll be happy to be home. I hope it all goes well!

Wendi, I love new/big craft stores. :smileyhappy: What is standardized testing - it's for the state, right? Nothing to do with grades?

Andrea, I love all the pictures. Harry is getting so big! The picture with the tiger (picture) kind of freaked me out. Looks like the big tiger is right over Harry! Glad you got a deal on your zoo membership renewal already!

Did I tell you guys that we aren't planning to renew our Disney annual passes? I'm just a smidge bummed, but we feel like we need to go to Disney to use them, but there are other places we'd like to travel to, also. So, they expire on Dec. 9th. We need to go twice before then: 1) For the food and wine festival - goes through Nov. 12 - I've never been and really want to check it out. 2) Because our favorite ride has been closed since April and re-opens around Thanksgiving AND because the new Fantasyland attractions are opening around then (there has been construction for a couple of years). So we'll probably have to go for DH's birthday, the first weekend of December. He won't be happy about that, but we really need to see the ride changes and the new attractions before our passes expire.

Geez - how did it get to be October already??? And when is it going to cool down??! :smileyhappy: I've discovered that I'm fairly annoyed by the hot/humid weather now. Especially in the mornings. If the days could at least start at like 65 degrees, that would be really nice. Hopefully in another month, I guess...

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:39am
Hilarie, its cool here. :smileywink: Supposed to be a HIGH in the low 50s Saturday and Sunday. Not ready for that quite yet!

Wendi, that skirt is awesome! I'll have to show Alexis. We could do just about any color she wants. Our 3rd graders take the reading achievement test tomorrow, then everyone takes them in the spring.

Andrea, great pics! Looks like a ton of fun.

Not ready to head back yet. I started reading The Help yesterday while visiting Mom, and I'd just like to sit here and read. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:17am
Laura, no we haven't been anywhere in the panhandle, other than when we drove across the country and just drove through (no stops, even, because we were so close!). I hear the beaches there are lovely. Someday we'll get there. Glad you're having cooler temps, as far as the fires go. But snow???? WOW.

One of my systems went "live" today, so I was all stressed about it (as I always am), but no emails/IMs yet. Must be working okay...

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:25am
Please dont mention that dreaded "s" word! I love fall and dont want winter too soon. Christmas is soon enough for snow for me! :smileyhappy:

Hilarie, glad you havent heard anything about the system so far!

Wow Laura, that is really a long time with no rain. We're supposed to get a significant amount overnight into tomorrow. I'd send you some if I could. We're still below normal, but I'm sure you could use it more.

Nothing exciting here today.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:46pm
Lori, I'm with you I love fall weather - nice day sand cool nights - perfect!! I do like snow, but I prefer to wait until November. Last year we had that snowstorm before Halloween that I am hoping not to repeat!!!

Laura - the monorail is the only way you can see the elephants and rhinos etc.. Actually just last week they had some guy jump into the tiger area because he wanted to be one with the tiger - nuts!!! he actually survived too!! We noticed there were extra attendants on the ride!!

Hilarie - Yay to no calls yet - hope it stays that way!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 3:01pm
Laura, Sounds like fun - especially with all the cousins. Are there other young kids for the girls to play with?

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:26pm
Laura, Thanksgiving sounds great! Glad you got it booked!

Lori, did your mom make it home?

I forgot to mention - I was so annoyed when I saw the paper yesterday. There was a color run on Saturday - I'd have loved to have done that! But I never know about things here until after they happen. Blah. http://www.colormerad.com/about.html I think I'm going to sign up for the Susan G. Komen 5k in October. I need to just do it. Otherwise I'll just wait too long. Maybe I'll be able to run for 30 minutes by then. ;-P

Pages